• Register Today It's free!

Transmission?

rudiegonewild

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hey, I've got a '94 ford explorer xlt and I was curious. About how often does the transmission go on an explorer and when to expect it, because i think it may be acting up a lil. We replaced it at about 70,000 miles and it's at 153,000 miles now, so ya, i figure it's the transmission. just making sure that it's about time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most 1st Gen autos (A4LD) usually aren't rebuilt by people knowledgable enough to rebuild them correctly. They can be rebuilt, and rebuilt well, but more often then not.............they aren't.

The fact that you got 80+K out of a rebuilt A4LD is quite an accomplishment.

OK, I'm at 130k and the trans has had nothing other than normal maintenence done to it, is that a lot then? Sometimes when its cold now it can sort of be stuck in 1st till it warms up a bit, someone here told me it was something I cant recall, but if that piece needs replacing would it be worth it to just get it rebuilt(correctly) if its at 130k already? Thanks

That would be the valve body sticking, you could leave it for now untill you need a rebuild and then have them put in a new one. Or you could fix it now but it probably isn't worth it.

i got 150,000+ on mine, the tranny slips (getting fix tomorrow). That shouldn't be that much to fix, considering how many miles i put on it.

A "won't shift out of 1st when cold" problem is most usually the governor, and it is something that can be easily repaired without removing the trannie. As for longevity, I have 213,000 on my 92 A4LD, so they CAN go a long time. Finally, I wouldn't turn a possibly stuck governor into a full rebuild.

correct, just either get a completely new a4ld, or swap in a c5 or something else.

Our first a4ld lasted until 165k miles.. 2nd to 236k miles.. next 2 werent' near as good.. We are at 310k miles.. and now have a 700r4 installed.. we will see how long that lasts.

~Mark

yea i have a '94 xlt and i was changing my transmission filter and when i pulled my pan off a pin like thing came out with it, i dont know what it is but now my truck wont go into drive or ne thing, only reverse. anyone have any advise??

well "a pin like thing" doesn;t give much to go on.... but was it shaped like a Z?

I am thinking your Z link that engages the manual shift lever inside the tranny may have come undone. Do a search for Z link.... and see if that is what it is.

I have the same problem as Wiggerproof, my truck wont go into drive or ne thing, only reverse. I resently had my front seal replaced, im thinking the mechanic didnt put something back right. I CAN START IT IF I SIT THERE AND PLAY WITH IT. Shifting from reverse to drive and gasing at the same time i shift into drive. A couple of minutes doing that and it catches. But cant take it out of drive, because i have to do it all over again. What is the z link you are talking about, and do you have any ideas what could be causes this problem

This is a picture from Glacier991's photo gallery:
DSCN6431.jpg

The red line is pointing to the Z link. You have to drop the pan to see this.

Back