• Register Today It's free!

Transmission?

Wray-Wray

Reaction score
City, State
North Tonawanda NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Moutaineer 5.0L
ok do you guys have any idea's on what i should do to make sure my tranny lasts? i really really don't want to haft to put a transmission in this thing and i know that they have a tendency to go....i know basic maintenance like fluid an filter replacement every 20k....i also have a question about finding out what gears i have in the front and rear of my truck

I have a 1999 mercury mountaineer with the 5.0 and its AWD obviously

any other suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if im not mistaken you have the 4R70W trans with 3.73 gears(not positive correct me if im wrong). as far as making it last id say go with a shift kit. Trans have restrictions in it that restrict the flow of trans fluid and that causes a "soft shift" that is put in there for your comfort. Problem is it puts extra stress on ur tranny and sometimes makes it have to search for the gear on the shift. The shift kit takes out the restrictions that cause the soft shift and the trans shift harder. it adds a bit of performance and helps ur tranny last longer with less strain.

Put in a good stacked plate cooler, and a temperature gauge. Check the Explorer specs section for your gear ratio. You have to look up the code numbers.

what is a "stacked plate cooler"?

i was thinking of going to get a high performance transmission cooler from uhaul i've heard good things....would that make a difference?

oh and the awd isnt obvious lol i have a 98 5.0 and its not awd its 2wd ;)

if im not mistaken you have the 4R70W trans with 3.73 gears(not positive correct me if im wrong). as far as making it last id say go with a shift kit. Trans have restrictions in it that restrict the flow of trans fluid and that causes a "soft shift" that is put in there for your comfort. Problem is it puts extra stress on ur tranny and sometimes makes it have to search for the gear on the shift. The shift kit takes out the restrictions that cause the soft shift and the trans shift harder. it adds a bit of performance and helps ur tranny last longer with less strain.

any suggestions on the shift kit?i had one in my 87 mercury grand marquis....it was a B&M stage two street/strip kit man did it make a difference.... i don't know what to put in my truck....my cars tranny was TV cable controlled...what should i do with the mountaineer...cuz i know the computer controls it right?...any suggestions on what i should buy?

oh and the awd isnt obvious lol i have a 98 5.0 and its not awd its 2wd ;)

icic....sometimes i wish i had the ability to go from 4X2 to 4X4 AWD is starting to bug me

in fact explorer express has alot of good stuff for your X. thats where i got my cold air intake and my exhaust.

cool that looks like it will do the job!

There are 2 types of coolers. The tube & fin style looks like the OEM cooler. The stacked plate cooler is more efficient since it has multiple fluid passage ways.

ic thank you! i will defiantly look into it!!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...k-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=stacked+plate+cooler
G_10858G_CL_1.jpg

ok do you guys have any idea's on what i should do to make sure my tranny lasts? i really really don't want to haft to put a transmission in this thing and i know that they have a tendency to go....i know basic maintenance like fluid an filter replacement every 20k....i also have a question about finding out what gears i have in the front and rear of my truck

I have a 1999 mercury mountaineer with the 5.0 and its AWD obviously

any other suggestions?

Do research on J-Mod for 4R70W. Read the first two articles here:
http://tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

cool thank you guys for all the help!

Back