What part is this? 1999 5.0 AWD Transmission swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What part is this? 1999 5.0 AWD Transmission swap

Poormanz28

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Good morning peoples.

1999 5.0 Mercury Mountaineer 220k miles. Transmission went out. Went to salvage yard and got another. Took the pan off the "new" transmission and this part was in the pan. Looks like a plunger or some type. I do not see this part on my old trans. Any clue what it is and where it goes?? Thanks for any reply.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1972582/IMG_20120623_073113.jpg

Jeff

If I remember right, its a part that plugs the dipstick hole when the transmission is new. When the stick is put in they just push the plug into the pan.

That could be bad as I ran a car fax on the vin of the car it came out off. Went to salvage at 177k miles. If that plug is still in there then not likely the trans has ever had a fluid change. :( The magnet doesn't look that bad though. I guess I will see.

Atleast the magnets is clean, yes the plug gets pushed out when the truck is assembled. First time pans been off tho some people will put them back in the pan during a change "cause it was in there". :salute:

Back