Travel Trailer Wiring on 2005 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Travel Trailer Wiring on 2005 Sport Trac

clarkgriswold

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Sport Trac XLT
I've got a 2005 4x4 Sport Trac that I need to have the 8 pin connector for wiring my travel trailer (w/brakes). What I've found so far is a 4 pin connector located under the bumper a little on the drivers side. I've looked around the forum and saw some notes that there MAY be an 8 pin connector also located somewhere under the vehicle. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe Gen 1 ('01-'05) had an option for a 7 Pin RV connector. You'll need to add a brake controller and wire that to a new connector for the trailer. You can tap signal and tail lights from the 4 wire, but you'll need power and brake controller feeds as well.

If you're buying the trailer new, negotiate the controller installation into the trailer purchase. If you're going to do it yourself, the wiring definitions will come with your controller.

Good luck!

A little different question but......Isn't there a connector somewhere in the dash for connecting the brake contoller into wiring?

No, not on the Sport Tracs/Explorers. There is on F150's with the towing package.

Gen 2 Tracs have an optional 7 pin plug and brake controller wiring I think is there regardless. Gen 1 Tracs only have the light-duty 4 pin plug. A brake controller would have to be installed by an RV shop or whoever.

Back