Trouble maintaining idle in hot weather | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trouble maintaining idle in hot weather

Chuck Norris

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
It's been in the 90's here and I ran the a/c which works fine. I shut my stock '95 explorer off and when I went to restart it a few mins later it would turn over but then die shortly after. This continues untill I turn off the a/c. It then will stay running but at around 2-300 rpm... I usually have to keep one foot giving it enough gas to get it up to a normal idle speed and use the other foot to brake. It will eventually work itself out to where it will be up to a normal idle speed on its own. Any help would be appreciated. I've probed the IAC with a voltmeter and it's fine according to the manual's volt spec's and I also cleaned it out w/ some carb cleaner, and I tested the TPS which is working correctly and fluctuates the resistance according to the throttle position.

Clean the MAF, if the issue still exists, replace the IAC valve.

The MAF connector and sensor both appear to be fine (tested it with voltmeter). I also checked the IAT and it showed the correct resistance and I tested the EGR system as well. All function correctly (or seem to at least). This problem only occurs when the weather gets around the 90's... it's not a consistant issue. I'm going to test the engine coolant temp sensor tomorrow when I have some more time.

Fuel psi when it's doin the crappy rpm thing

Back