Truck is starting to hum loudly when driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck is starting to hum loudly when driving

StephanieStroh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
about 2 weeks back I have noticed that there is a hum coming from my truck when driving. When I am driving on the highway 60 mph or higher the hum is very noticable. Is it the 4 wheel drive? transmission? is this going to cost me some major coin to get fixed? :( I really like the truck and enjoy the payment free life of 'owning' it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read alot of threads about loud motors. Try searching blower fan. Maybe that's what you're hearing?

I would guess wheel bearing. Known problem on these vehicles. Does it only start at 60MPH? Does it do it at lower speeds, then get worse as you speed up?

Second the wheel bearing assessment. The wheel bearing can sound like it's coming from a different location as the vibration travels throughout the drive train. You might hear it as though it's coming from the transmission, or transfer case. But, it can still be a right rear wheel bearing!

i used to get loud humming but only when i was driving,, when my exwife drove it didnt hum at all,, i checked everything,, turned out it was the wife,, she was afraid of my driving,, she hummed,, and she didnt know the words,, got her sheet music,, and she sang,, i shudda left her well enough alone,, hummin was easier on the ears,,,buck

My IAC started acting up recently and hums thru the intake tube loudly, but I havnt been on the highway since it started so I dont know how noticable it is at speed

I would guess wheel bearing, trans, or rear axle. Lots of 3rd Gens have a whine coming from the rear axle, mine has done it for over 60,000 miles but it has not gotten worse at all. Check the tire wear also, if you need an alignment you could just be hearing tread noise too.. lots of possibilities.

i used to get loud humming but only when i was driving,, when my exwife drove it didnt hum at all,, i checked everything,, turned out it was the wife,, she was afraid of my driving,, she hummed,, and she didnt know the words,, got her sheet music,, and she sang,, i shudda left her well enough alone,, hummin was easier on the ears,,,buck

Don't know if it's just me, but I was thinking your wife was doing another type of "humming" while you two were driving along! :D ;) I wouldn't confuse that with a bad wheel bearing though. :)

Back