Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
I swapped in a Bronco II tank into my ranger and now it wont start. I can here the fuel pump kickon and run for a few seconds then turn off like normal. I also checked and didnt see any kinks in any of the lines I ran to extend the fuel lines. I checked for spark as well and have spark at the end of the plug wires. I also poped the high pressure fuel line off thepump and had fuel pressure there.

Is there away that you have to prime the system to get fuel to start running correctly.

I dumped about 4 gallons of fuel into the gas tank and the pump is sitting in about an inch of fuel.

Any sugestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does the rail pressurize? What is the rail pressure before you crank the starter?

their is a shreder valve (looks like a valve stem) on the fuelrail try using a small screw driver to hold it open while turning the key to run (not start) a few times till all the air is out of the rails. Good luck hope it works :thumbsup:

Nate

Well I think I will be getting the dumb ass of the day award here.

I checked the shrader valve on the fuel rail and wasnt getting any pressure. So I thought there must be something plugging the line. I pull the fuel filter off to check for fuel there. Still no pressure. So I pull the hi side off the pump and have it off at the pump. I grab my air nozzle to back feed pressure through the line to make sure nothing is stuck in there.

And what happens is .

I here air bubbleing up out of the gas tank. Yup I put the ends on backwards and teh pump was trying to send pressure through the return line. Thus my problem. :fire: :banghead: :banghead: Grabbing lunch right now and will try to get it fixed and hooked later today and get the truck runniong again.

Been there done that :)
We must have checked the fuel lines on Brett's BII 20 times after completeing the 4.0L conversion. 3 days later we found, indeed they were backwards....

Got them swapped over cranked for about 10 sec and it fired right up. Funny how it will run when you have the fuel going teh right direction.

yeah we all knew it musta been some sort of a fluke or something odd for RockRanger to post a "truck wont start" thread ;)

The last two times my old ranger didnt start was when the ignition module when out. The first time was up in the sierra nevada mountains right after running the Dusy Ershim trail. 80 miles from town. The second time it went out was in the middle of the fordyce trail. Happened 4 days apart from each other.

Been there done that. After the major roll, I swapped everything to the new frame and body, including the fuel tank and lines. I had mine on backwards at the fuel filter. It took me about 4 hours to figure that one out.

I thought that but then i was thinking they cant go on backwards. well guess they can glad you got it started :thumbsup:

Nate

94explorer2x4 said:
I thought that but then i was thinking they cant go on backwards. well guess they can glad you got it started :thumbsup:

Nate

At the pump they cant go on backwards as one is 3/8" and the other is 5/16". However when you cut both lines and extend them 2.5 feet you can put the ends on the wrong hoses thus putting them on backwards. Atleast I got it fixed and running. Now if that locker and doubler would hurry up and get here before moab I would be real happy.

RockRanger said:
one is 3/8" and the other is 5/16". However when you cut both lines and extend them 2.5 feet you can put the ends on the wrong hoses thus putting them on backwards.
O I C :confused:

Back