True 4wd? Or awd? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

True 4wd? Or awd?

And I'd be interested in the Flex AWD definition as there is nothing on the Ford website that describes that feature for the Flex.

Hey Aggie76,

I found information for the Flex AWD system under this web site, if you have any further questions, let me know. http://www.Ford.com/Brochures/#Top, you can download the brochure directly to your computer. A few things to note about the AWD system; it continually monitors vehicle speed, throttle input, steering angle, and wheel slip to deliver torque to the appropriate wheel. AWD is standard on models that are equipped with an Ecoboost engine. Here is a link for more information about the Ecoboost engine, http://www.Ford.com/Crossovers/Flex/Features/#Page=Feature17. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Seni

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the clarification and information. I have decided that I will be referring to this truck as a "4 wheel drive". And I will be referring to it as a "truck". Why, you ask? Because its more fun that way

Seni, took at look at the URL for the Flex, unfortunately the pdf will not load past page 9, says there is an error processing the page. I did notice that early on in the brochure it refers to it as an "intelligent all wheel drive (AWD), sounds similar to the 4x4 Explorer system without the TMS feature.

Hey Aggie76,

I found information for the Flex AWD system under this web site, if you have any further questions, let me know. http://www.Ford.com/Brochures/#Top, you can download the brochure directly to your computer. A few things to note about the AWD system; it continually monitors vehicle speed, throttle input, steering angle, and wheel slip to deliver torque to the appropriate wheel. AWD is standard on models that are equipped with an Ecoboost engine. Here is a link for more information about the Ecoboost engine, http://www.Ford.com/Crossovers/Flex/Features/#Page=Feature17. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Seni

Haha Jake,

LOL, I appreciate your enthusiasm! :D

Seni

Thanks for the clarification and information. I have decided that I will be referring to this truck as a "4 wheel drive". And I will be referring to it as a "truck". Why, you ask? Because its more fun that way

Here is something cool you guys may not be aware of on your AWD,4WD new explorers. If you switch your 4inch left hand dash display to the intellegent
4WD graphic you have the ability to see exactly what your 4wd system is doing it real time. It shows you where the power is being applied to the wheels when you accelerate or loose grip on snow or ice. You can see what happens when you switch modes from snow or sand for instance. It shows the amount of power or torque going to the front or rear tires.

It is pretty cool to see how the power and traction is shifted to the rear wheels when accelerating from a stop on snow or ice and than once traction is regained it transfers power back to the front wheels.

The graphic display gives me confidence that the intellegent terrain management system is indeed working the way ford has designed it to. It is a great feature for ford to have added to this vehicle.

Has anyone noticed if both the front and rear wheels get power at take off from a dead stop on dry pavement, level ground, from a dead stop. I don't remember noticing this when I first got it, but I noticed today the rear wheels also get power briefly at take off.

Fwd, 4wd,awd?

I asked in a different thread about this 4WD vs. AWD nomenclature with the 5TH generation Explorers. I was told in a reply that 4WD is an incorrect term for the system in the new Explorers. My owners manual states that the truck is 4WD and the rear lift gate has a 4WD emblem on it. Also the left dash gauge says "intelligent 4WD". I saw another thread with a pic showing the dash displaying "intelligent AWD". That's what prompted this query. Could someone shed some light on this? I know the difference between the two. Why the two different displays from Ford?

I wouldn't post again in the other thread after being accused of hijacking it.

I asked in a different thread about this 4WD vs. AWD nomenclature with the 5TH generation Explorers. I was told in a reply that 4WD is an incorrect term for the system in the new Explorers. My owners manual states that the truck is 4WD and the rear lift gate has a 4WD emblem on it. Also the left dash gauge says "intelligent 4WD". I saw another thread with a pic showing the dash displaying "intelligent AWD". That's what prompted this query. Could someone shed some light on this? I know the difference between the two. Why the two different displays from Ford?

I wouldn't post again in the other thread after being accused of hijacking it.
Hi jreask. In no way was I accusing you of hi-jacking the other thread. In fact it happens quite often that the posts get 'off topic' when someone mentions one thing or another.
Basically the way I understand it from exploring the Internet, 4WD indicates that all wheels are powered full time. AWD indicates that the vehicle usually has either FWD or RWD with the ability of the system to send power to the other wheels when required. I see more and more advertisements for cars coming out saying they have AWD. The 2013 Fusion is listed as having Intelligent AWD.
Even the Owner's Manual is confusing. In mine, (2010 1st Printing) the index lists All Wheel Drive with a page number. When I go to that page (316 in my book) the heading indicates 4WD.
I know it can be very confusing especially when both my '09 Highlander with all wheels powered full time and my 2011 Ex both had 4WD emblems on them but have totally different systems.:scratch:

Peter

To add to Peter's post, the '4' in 4WD is confusing, and not much more than a marketing gimmick. It confuses AWD with 4x4.

A 4x4 typically has a locking differential with a low range. This setup is for serious off-roaders and those who need maximum traction.

Not to knock AWD systems, as they have their place in the world, and the system on our Subarus works well.

Once again in the automotive world, marketing and the ability to trademark something wins out over clarity and transparency... 4-Matic, xDrive, 4WD, Quattro, and so on...

This link explains it pretty well.

My '02 Highlander said 4WD on the badge. It was most definitely AWD.

The new Ex's are AWD.

My '02 Highlander said 4WD on the badge. It was most definitely AWD.

The new Ex's are AWD.
My '02, 06 and '09 Highlander Limiteds all had the 4 wheels permanently powered. Therefore according to the link provided by VinceL they were Full Time AWD, despite the 4WD badge. The Explorer would therefore be considered Part Time AWD.

Peter

To add to Peter's post, the '4' in 4WD is confusing, and not much more than a marketing gimmick. It confuses AWD with 4x4.

A 4x4 typically has a locking differential with a low range. This setup is for serious off-roaders and those who need maximum traction.

Not to knock AWD systems, as they have their place in the world, and the system on our Subarus works well.

Once again in the automotive world, marketing and the ability to trademark something wins out over clarity and transparency... 4-Matic, xDrive, 4WD, Quattro, and so on...

This link explains it pretty well.

Thanks for the link. Good explanations there. I sure hope my new Ex goes up our steep gravel road in the icy snowy conditions. I hate to waste $40K.

Hi jreask. In no way was I accusing you of hi-jacking the other thread. In fact it happens quite often that the posts get 'off topic' when someone mentions one thing or another.
Basically the way I understand it from exploring the Internet, 4WD indicates that all wheels are powered full time. AWD indicates that the vehicle usually has either FWD or RWD with the ability of the system to send power to the other wheels when required. I see more and more advertisements for cars coming out saying they have AWD. The 2013 Fusion is listed as having Intelligent AWD.
Even the Owner's Manual is confusing. In mine, (2010 1st Printing) the index lists All Wheel Drive with a page number. When I go to that page (316 in my book) the heading indicates 4WD.
I know it can be very confusing especially when both my '09 Highlander with all wheels powered full time and my 2011 Ex both had 4WD emblems on them but have totally different systems.:scratch:

Peter

NO offense taken at all. I have been reading this forum for a few weeks and I have gotten plenty of info from yours and the posts of others. I will post my snow/icy driving results as soon as we get some inclement weather. We don't get bad weather very often, but when we do, my wife and I are needed at our jobs and must get to and from work. We live on a steep gravel incline and it can get rather treacherous. I know for sure that my 98 4Runner has never had ANY problem getting up the hill, no matter what the conditions. Of course, it is true 4WD with low and a rear diff locker.
I passed up a 2012 4Runner 4WD for this EX.

NO offense taken at all. I have been reading this forum for a few weeks and I have gotten plenty of info from yours and the posts of others. I will post my snow/icy driving results as soon as we get some inclement weather. We don't get bad weather very often, but when we do, my wife and I are needed at our jobs and must get to and from work. We live on a steep gravel incline and it can get rather treacherous. I know for sure that my 98 4Runner has never had ANY problem getting up the hill, no matter what the conditions. Of course, it is true 4WD with low and a rear diff locker.
I passed up a 2012 4Runner 4WD for this EX.
I'd be interested to see how you fair with that hill under those conditions. Not sure which model you have but if it's the Limited, the only problem may be the Hankooks. There have been negative and positive posts on them regarding Winter performance. I replaced them with Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires the day I picked mine up. The tire dealer offered me $80 per tire credit on the OEM's. For Winter, I'm using the base model 17" steelies with BF Goodrich Winter Slalom tires. Best of luck with your new Explorer and 'the hill'. :)

Peter

Peter,

Our EX is an XLT with Michelin Latitude Tour HP's. This was one of the reasons we decided on the XLT model. Of course the price tag was another reason. I like the Explorer so far but the navigation of the hill will be the determining factor as to whether we keep it after winter.

You'll have no problems getting up that driveway. Visited my friends house in swan valley ID earlier this month. He too has gravel driveway with at least a 20 % grade and 500 ft long. Always covered in snow and sometimes solid ice. One night when it was solid ice, went up and down shuttling for nighttime sledding effortlessly in both snow and sand mode. Hill decent worked fantastic on solid ice.

Listed in order of ascending robustness and off-road ability:

FWD=Front wheels driven only

4WD=AWD=Usually some sort of computer and clutch sending power to each wheel as needed-often a full time system

4X4=the real thing, often with special low gearing and locking differentials, commonly a part time system

This is a very basic outline of driveline systems. Newer versions tend to blend features from the others.

For those in the know, how did I sum it up?

Listed in order of ascending robustness and off-road ability:

FWD=Front wheels driven only

4WD=AWD=Usually some sort of computer and clutch sending power to each wheel as needed-often a full time system

4X4=the real thing, often with special low gearing and locking differentials, commonly a part time system

This is a very basic outline of driveline systems. Newer versions tend to blend features from the others.

For those in the know, how did I sum it up?
The way I understand the explanations I've read is that AWD is what we have in the new Explorer. The vehicle is basically FWD (in our case) and power is sent to the wheels that require it when conditions change.
4WD is what I had with the Highlander where all 4 wheels are powered full time.
The badge on our Ex is misleading. I noticed on a new Acadia I saw the other day that the badge shows AWD which is the same that we have. The Fusion and Taurus, which I believe basically have the same system as the Explorer, are shown as AWD.

Peter

Man, I go on vacation and missed a shout out!! WTH!! LOL.

Yep mine is flex fuel, 4WD (I think...I don't really understand the difference between 4WD and AWD, but I think the sales guy gave us the 'well its a 4WD vehicle but it kicks into AWD if it needs it so its like an AWD vehicle...or something like that??) But I know it is 4WD at least because we didn't get the ecoboost because the ecoboost is not 4WD.
I don't think your 'sales guy' knows what he was talking about. See my reply to Vince. It is AWD. BTW, the Sport 3.5 V6 EcoBoost is AWD.

Peter

I don't think your 'sales guy' knows what he was talking about. See my reply to Vince. It is AWD. BTW, the Sport 3.5 V6 EcoBoost is AWD.

Peter

Yea, like I said I didn't really understand it much, maybe he said it was AWD but could be locked into 4WD or kicks into 4WD when needed...if that makes more sense? Although it was also the same sales guy that told me I could buy the navigation after the fact...so there ya go...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AWD or 4WD is little more than marketing speak. I think each manufacturer just labels them the way they want to. Our Subarus are/were labeled as AWD, with the Forester turbo having all wheels driven equally more or less all the time, with my Legacy having all wheels driven, but with a FWD bias until power was needed to the rear. Of course that was the service manager telling me, so take it for what it is worth, lol.

Back