Truxxx & 275/65r18

Duval Renegade

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer 4x4
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and this will be my first post. I've had my explorer for a few years and finally decided to make it look more aggressive. It's a 2006 xls 4x4. Here are a few pictures of what it looked like before and after installing a truxxx leveling kit and 275/65R18 cooper discoverers on rhino sidewinders (-12 offset). I also recently replaced all 4 strut assemblies (Monroe) and all my ball joints. I had to trim some plastic because of minor rubbing at full turn. The old wheels are 235/65R17 on Motegi wheels. Sorry if the sizing of these pics is off.

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg

IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also installed new ceramic brakes for additional stopping power. Replaced front rotors as well (they were rusted badly).

Looks good.

I'm about to put 265/70/18s on my 2000 Mounty.

MT

Looks good.

I'm about to put 265/70/18s on my 2000 Mounty.

MT

thanks, I love the way it looks now. hope your mountaineer comes out looking great. the size is a great choice.

image.jpg
. Paint your head lights

What did you do to shave the plastic? I'm having some rubbing too and its starting to bug me. Could you post a photo?

What did you do to shave the plastic? I'm having some rubbing too and its starting to bug me. Could you post a photo?

just got home. i'll try to post some pics tomorrow. basically, turn the wheel full left, then use a marker to mark where you will cut. do the same thing with the wheel full right. pretty straight forward. if you hear/feel slight rubbing still, then just go back and trim some more.

link?

I also installed new ceramic brakes for additional stopping power. Replaced front rotors as well (they were rusted badly).

I hate to be the "that guy" who rains on your parade but ceramic pads reduce stopping power over stock, not increase (although its not very noticeable unless you race). They do however brake with less dust, far less dust. New rotors and pads will however make braking feel better over old especially if you bleed the brakes.

I put the 265/70/18 Cooper Adventurer AT's on yesterday.

I'll try to get some pictures later today.

All I can say is 'What a difference'.

They went on easy.

MT

I hate to be the "that guy" who rains on your parade but ceramic pads reduce stopping power over stock, not increase (although its not very noticeable unless you race). They do however brake with less dust, far less dust. New rotors and pads will however make braking feel better over old especially if you bleed the brakes.

fair enough. they do feel much better. the old ones were shot though.

I put the 265/70/18 Cooper Adventurer AT's on yesterday.

I'll try to get some pictures later today.

All I can say is 'What a difference'.

They went on easy.

MT

that's awesome! throw a pic up when you can.

sorry, never took any pics of the plastic I trimmed. did you go back and try trimming at all?

I haven't tried yet. I was thinking maybe I could get a heat gun and get the plastic hot and push/warp it out of the way. I dont want to dremel any holes into the inner fender, because I dont want mud to get at the fog lights or engine compartment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't tried yet. I was thinking maybe I could get a heat gun and get the plastic hot and push/warp it out of the way. I dont want to dremel any holes into the inner fender, because I dont want mud to get at the fog lights or engine compartment.

How much rubbing do you have?

You may want to consider a spacer to slightly move the wheel out from the fender.

MT

Back