TRUXXX spacers installed on 3rd Gens - How To | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TRUXXX spacers installed on 3rd Gens - How To

AviatorGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Aviator AWD v8
Took the plunge and ordered the TRUXXX #102010 kit from Fat Bob's garage. This kit is made for the 06+ Explorer and Mountaineer but will fit 3rd Gens with some minor modification which I will hopefully explain.
Here is a link to the kit:
http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/ford-explorer-25-lift-kit-2006-2010-p3948.aspx

Here is the TRUXXX kit:
1020102.jpg

Compare this to the RoadBully Kit:
IMG_2572.jpg

I had Roadbully make me up a kit last year and after waiting forever to get it I decided not to install it and promptly sold it. I would strongly recommend anyone that wants a spacer kit to forget the Roadbully kit and go with the TRUXXX instead. The quality of the TRUXXX kit is 10,000 times better which is what you would expect from a commercially made product vs. a homemade. The only thing I don't like about the TRUXXX spacer is that it isn't welded around the full circumference like the Roadbully is. It only has beads in alternating 3" sections. I do however like the ultra heavy duty pressed in studs of the TRUXXX vs the bolts with a few spot welds on the Roadybully. The powedercoat finish on the TRUXXX is on a different planet from the Roadbully. Much smoother and more consistent which again, is what you would expect. The TRUXXX comes with a warranty card (though I don't think it will cover it installed on a 3rd Gen because you need to modify it) It also includes new alignment specs for after the lift is installed which is quite nice.

The front spacers bolt in with zero issues. The rears need to have the bolt holes enlarged a small amount on the spacer and on the mounts on the truck itself. Because the spacer has a larger diameter stud than stock, you actually need to drill away a little more material in the mounts on the truck itself to get the holes to line up. You also need to enlarge the 2 holes on the bump stops to reuse them. See the pictures below:

Here you can see just how little drilling you need to do to get these to fit on your shocks. The drilling on the spacer took about 5 minutes. The drilling on the truck was a little bit more involved. My Craftsman 19.2v cordless couldn't do jack on the shock mounts on the truck. The steel is just too hard. I had to step up to my corded to get those reamed out a bit. The bump stops I put in my vise and drilled out a little and they went on without a hitch.
IMG00017-20100331-1907.jpg

IMG00018-20100331-1907.jpg

IMG00019-20100331-1907.jpg

To Install the Fronts I had to remove in this order: un-bolt sway bar, remove 3 bolts off top of shock (easier said than done), unbolt bottom shock bolt (big 24mm beast that requires a breaker bar), remove nut on ball joint and pop out (mine was froze, had to use a pitman arm puller to get out). Shock comes out fairly easily.

To Install rears remove in this order: unbolt sway bar, remove 3 bolts off top of shock, lift off bump stop, unbolt bottom shock bolt, remove bolt that holds rear knuckle to lower control arm, I also had to remove the rear caliper to get enough room to get it out. Begin prying down on lower control arm. This requires help and a long board or prybar. Have to wrestle shock in and out.

Couple of Tips I can offer after installing this.

1. Have your PB Blaster or WD40 ready for this job. Most of the suspension parts are rusted like crazy and don't want to come out.
2. Do yourself a favor and buy a bunch of extra nuts before you begin. I broke a lot of the stock nuts getting them off. The nuts on the 3 studs on each shock take a 13mm wrench. I bought a 13mm flexhead gearwrench like this
736167833761lg.jpg
and it worked perfectly to get into the tight spaces and get them off. The nut itself is a 8M 1.25thread. I broke off at least 1 stud on the top of each shock getting them off no matter how much lube i used. It's ok, you only need an inch of thread to bolt to the spacers, and they are like 2" long. The nut that goes on the new studs on the spacer is a 10M 1.25 thread. This take a 14mm wrench to install. Home Depot has all these in stock at at .20c a piece. GO buy a bunch before you start.
3. I needed a pitman arm puller
1654d1235158252-how-pull-pitman-arm-tie-rod-puller.jpg
on the fronts to get the ball joint to pop out of the knuckle. In the roadbully directions it says you can bang this out with a hammer which I tried a bit but it wasn't happening plus why damage your ball joints?
4.On my rears I ended up removing the brake calipers and this gave me some extra clearance to get the shock in and out. Didn't need to do this on the fronts. I still had to use about a 10' piece of 2x4 to get enough leverage forcing the lower control arm down enough to get the shock/spacer back in.
5. On both the fronts and rears once you put the shocks back in with the spacer, on the big bolt that goes through the bottom eye of the shocks, slide it through and thread the nut on a couple turns before you jack it back up. I learned the hard way its a pain to try and get this back in once everything else is bolted up.

Any other questions or if you get stuck post here and hopefully I can help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your not lifting your aviator are you!?!? every time you lift an aviator, robbin williams gets another joke!! DONT DO IT!! JK, im looking forward to the pics!, i think my next explorer will be an aviator, even if i have to look accross state lines for one, so rare...

This How-To is geared to the Explorer/Mounty crowd. I just wanted to show how to do it on a 3rd gen.

But yes, I lifted the Aviator. Had to do it. Too low for my tastes. Barely qualifies as a truck...close to dreaded minivan soccer-mom territory...

Before:

IMG00014-20100320-1710-1.jpg

During: Just the Rears done
IMG00022-20100402-1704.jpg

After:
IMG00003-20100406-1655.jpg

Keep in mind this is a 31.7" tire, almost a 32" (265/70-17 Goodyear Duratrac). At stock height it looked a little funny because it was so big tucked up into the wheel well tightly. Now with the lift I think it looks "right". All these pictures kinda look lousy. It looks much much better in person. Taken with my Blackberry

What I don't like about TRUXXX spacers that I do like about RB spacers:

You can get various lift heights in the spacers to meet your specific needs. For instance, I went .50" lower in my rears to get rid of the retarded factory rake.

How much lift did you get out of those rear spacers?

Lift looks good on your EX. I am gonna do a lift on my 05. My question is what wheels are you using. They look like the factory spare wheels. Thats what I am planning on using if I can find 3 more. I have 1 that is 4.5 inch backspace. I hope to find 3 more soon. I have made my 3 inch body lift. I need to know what the i,d, is on the truxx lift so I can find the pipe and start fabbing up my 2 in spacers. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Lift looks good on your EX. I am gonna do a lift on my 05. My question is what wheels are you using. They look like the factory spare wheels. Thats what I am planning on using if I can find 3 more. I have 1 that is 4.5 inch backspace. I hope to find 3 more soon. I have made my 3 inch body lift. I need to know what the i,d, is on the truxx lift so I can find the pipe and start fabbing up my 2 in spacers. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Yes, The wheels are factory spares, I just threw my chrome center caps back on to give her the police car look. :thumbsup: You can buy them new online for like $50 each. They are more a temporary solution for me. I was in the process of lifting and wanted to get my bigger tires on and haven't decided on wheels yet. They are factory backspacing. -44mm. The tires did rub just a bit at full lock, but I wanted a little wider stance so I'm running a 1" hub-centric spacer as well. Once I decide on new wheels I'll buy the correct offset and lose the spacers. I can't decide If i want all black or black with a silver lip...?

More pics-
Added a Rola roof basket today. Scrubbed the ghey "rola" logo off with some steel wool before I put it on. Will put some sort of decal up on there but haven't decided yet. Also planning to add 2 - 4" lights on the front of it.
IMG00004-20100407-1751.jpg

IMG00007-20100407-1752.jpg

IMG00005-20100407-1751.jpg

ya i have 2005 with the truxxx kit i bought it on sale for $279 i think it was like 290 something with standard shipping and it was on my doorstep in 5 days! i only put the front spacers in and i have 265-75-16 bridgstone Revo 2 a/t. That is good to know about the rear spacers needing to be drilled out a bit because from looking at them they look like they should fit fine without modification!! it was a ***** putting the spacers in the front so after i got those in i didnt even wanna start on the back. i gained 3 inches of lift in the front. it sits about 2 inches higher in the front then in the back with just the front spacers in. i like it sitting higher in the front with a little lean to the rear. on fatbobs wesite it says it is a 2.5 inch front lift and a 1.25 inch rear lift but when the box came it said it was a 3 inch front lift and a 2 inch rear lift. i think the truxxx kit is a good product and its well made with a warranty.

So the TRUXX lift kit you bought should fit on a 3rd gen with little modification? What size are your tires?

So the TRUXX lift kit you bought should fit on a 3rd gen with little modification? What size are your tires?

Yep - fronts go on with no modification, rears need to have the holes enlarged.
Read the above posts.

Tires are 265-70-17 GoodYear Duratracs. This is a 31.6" Tire and will fit at stock height. Nice thing about them is you can run them at stock height but they really look sharp when you have a bit of lift. These tires are fantastic. Very Very quiet for how aggressive they are. Very nice road manners and quite capable offroad. They just came out last year and folks are now starting to try them. Nice thing about them is they still have sipes in the tread and are capable in the snow unlike most MT or Mud tires.

Couple Pictures from today. It was a beautiful day in Western PA. Had to get out and play around a little :D

Added 4" lights to the roof basket. What do you think?

4-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

Nice rig!

Aviator looks good. Its nice to see an ultra-luxury truck being built more for truck use than street.

With that Truxx kit, how big are the actual spacers? And how much lift did you get front and back?

when looking at the front and back spacers with the truxx kit they are almost the same height. the front spacers are a little over 2 inches tall and the back are about 2 inches tall or maybe a tiny bit less than 2 inches tall. i measured before and after i put the front spacers in and the back used to sit over an inch taller than the front and now with just the front in the front sits about 2 inches higher than the back.

Nice rig, very unique. I bet you get some looks taking a Lincoln out on the trails. Where in PA are you located, i used to live in the south hills in mcmurray, but ive moved down around connellsville now.

Nice rig, very unique. I bet you get some looks taking a Lincoln out on the trails. Where in PA are you located, i used to live in the south hills in mcmurray, but ive moved down around connellsville now.

Yeah the first question I get from everyone is usually WHY? I normally reply "I'm sorry, would you prefer I put 24" inch rims on it and put a bunch of subwoofers in the back...?" I've never been into that junk. I want to hurl when I see a Hummer with big chrome rims and low profile street tires. I'm in blue collar South-Western PA and I like to hunt, fish, tow boats, and drive around in fields like a maniac. Also like to have a comfy ride to drive to work everyday that is great for long hauls. It fits the bill pretty well. I never intend for it to be a serious offroad machine, lets be real, unless it's got solid axles front and rear it isn't that great. However, it goes pretty darn well offroad and does everything I could ask for.

From all over the area pretty much. Originally from the Washington area, moved to Bethel Park for a short time, live in the North Hills now. If you know of any trails or secret places in the area to go out wheelin I'd be happy to trade you a few just pm me. Always looking for new places to try. Thanks!

Hey Aviatorguy,

I saw your wheels and tires on craigslist for sale. You said you traded your Aviator in. What is your new ride?

-Do you happen to still have the roof rack, i may be interested in buying it if its for sale.

that is the coolest aviator i have ever seen. i love the luxo-lifted look. those tires look cool too. i realy like the roof basket. how much was it?

Yep traded her in.

Picked up a 2004 F350 powerstroke diesel.
Its a short bed extended cab with single rear wheels and FX4 offroad package.
Of course I'll be putting on a huge lift and monster tires in the near future.
Solid axles front and rear, lift kits are dirt cheap.
Thing gets amazing smiles per gallon...!

Why did you trade the Aviator in? Did you have any complications related to the lift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hole enlargement

What size drill bit did you use on the spacer and on the mount? Also did you enlarge all the holes on the spacer?

Back