Turning Noise

erixon

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
Hey guys,

Recently I have been noticing a noise when I turn, it sounds similar to power steering without any fluid, a fairly loud, deep vibrating noise. At first I thought it was my power steering but am unsure now, when I am not moving, I can turn the wheel back and forth, and it sounds fine. It only makes the noise when I am moving, it's just when I have the wheel cranked hard, moving. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Noise...

Make sure your front tires are not hitting the brake fluid line when you turn. This can be a problem if you've made any changes to your front end...like bigger tires.

I did get new tires this winter, but they are the same size as before...
Also, its a 4WD 4.0L SOHC, with a standard transmission. Just the stock 4WD T-Case.

Yeah, nothing is rubbing, it doesnt make a rubbing sound, there might be a bit of resistance turning the wheel when turning hard. and its almost like it makes the noise once every tire revolution or something but I don't know for sure.

Im not sure but when i have my steering wheel turned all the way one mine when i am turning in somewhere i get this thud several times in a row. Not sure what it is. But also, can anyone help me? I cant seem to figure out how to post a thread of my own. I am new to this site and cant find where the button is to post a new thread.

Im not sure but when i have my steering wheel turned all the way one mine when i am turning in somewhere i get this thud several times in a row. Not sure what it is. But also, can anyone help me? I cant seem to figure out how to post a thread of my own. I am new to this site and cant find where the button is to post a new thread.

Sounds like maybe a CV joint, or you are stuck in 4 wheel drive.

Hey guys,

Recently I have been noticing a noise when I turn, it sounds similar to power steering without any fluid, a fairly loud, deep vibrating noise. At first I thought it was my power steering but am unsure now, when I am not moving, I can turn the wheel back and forth, and it sounds fine. It only makes the noise when I am moving, it's just when I have the wheel cranked hard, moving. Any ideas?

Do you hear what could be described as a click-click-click noise as well? (especially at slow speeds)
If that is the case, take a peek at the rubber boots on your front CV/axles. If they are torn, that noise is your CV/axle dying a slow death.
If you hear a constant low rumble vibration that can be felt thru the floor, that can be CV/axles, hub bearings, front driveshaft, some transfercase issues, possibly front differential issues. Noises are kinda tough to diagnose without riding in the truck.
I would take a close look at your hub bearings, Erixon. Thats what my "guess" is as the noise presents itself louder on turns and you describe it differently than a rapid click-click-click. But I would still peek at those rubber boots anyway.

blainemcdaniels: Can this "thudding" be more of a click-click-click? Your problem really sounds more like the CV/axle.

No its not clicking, I can feel the whole vehicle jerking. Its like, thud thud thud.

Do you hear what could be described as a click-click-click noise as well? (especially at slow speeds)
If that is the case, take a peek at the rubber boots on your front CV/axles. If they are torn, that noise is your CV/axle dying a slow death.
If you hear a constant low rumble vibration that can be felt thru the floor, that can be CV/axles, hub bearings, front driveshaft, some transfercase issues, possibly front differential issues. Noises are kinda tough to diagnose without riding in the truck.
I would take a close look at your hub bearings, Erixon. Thats what my "guess" is as the noise presents itself louder on turns and you describe it differently than a rapid click-click-click. But I would still peek at those rubber boots anyway.

blainemcdaniels: Can this "thudding" be more of a click-click-click? Your problem really sounds more like the CV/axle.

It almost feels like its in the floor. It's almost like a deep, whining noise.

sounds like its stuck in 4WD.

No its not clicking, I can feel the whole vehicle jerking. Its like, thud thud thud.

This, as erixon already said, sounds like your stuck in 4 wheel Drive or you may have a bad CV joint.

It almost feels like its in the floor. It's almost like a deep, whining noise.
You could try removing your front driveshaft to help isolate the noise. If the CV joint on the driveshaft at the transfercase is shot, it will typically toss the grease out and you will see the telltale grease "ring" above it on the floorboard. Also if the CV joint on the driveshaft falls apart, well.. that could be it. I still think that if you only hear the noise when cornering, and its a low rumble, its probably your hub bearing.

This, as erixon already said, sounds like your stuck in 4 wheel Drive or you may have a bad CV joint.

You could try removing your front driveshaft to help isolate the noise. If the CV joint on the driveshaft at the transfercase is shot, it will typically toss the grease out and you will see the telltale grease "ring" above it on the floorboard. Also if the CV joint on the driveshaft falls apart, well.. that could be it. I still think that if you only hear the noise when cornering, and its a low rumble, its probably your hub bearing.

Okay, I will have a look when I get a chance. Like I said I equate it to the sound like when your power steering fails, its that loud whining noise, but its only when moving... and I know its not the power steering. I hope its not like the diff or something like that.

HMMMM, a whine like that? Thats new by me. That could be a dry hub bearing crying out or it could be front differential related.
Ever run different tires and had the 4WD engaged?
It doesn't take much difference in circumference in tires to start creating alot of heat in the transfercase and front differential. As little as 1/4 inch is all it would take to get some good heat going. This isn't as much of an issue on the auto4WD system as it is on the AWD system (because the AWD system is always on), but if it was driven an extended period of time in that condition it can create enough heat to compromise bearings within the differential.

I bought all new tires stock sizing, in October. Could it be issues with the transfer case at all?

I bought all new tires stock sizing, in October. Could it be issues with the transfer case at all?

Yeah, it could be. But you say this is an auto-4wd. And you are in "auto" so that should basically be 2HI. Unless your transfercase is hanging up inside??
When turning there are differences of distance for the wheels in an arc. Each of the 4 wheels will need to turn at different speeds.
Have you (or anyone) performed the "brown wire mod" ?
If so, could anyone have done a "burnout" or two with the truck?
Doing this can and has burned out the electric clutches.
You can remove the front driveshaft to diagnose this further.

when was the last time you replaced the fluid in the transfer case? At 50k, mine was making some nasty sounds. I replaced the ATF and the sounds went away. I now replaced the fluid every 9k and no nasty, crunchy sounds at 160k. My transfer case chain is stretched and it makes the hum/howl when turning and climbing. I first thought this noise was the front diff. Cracked that open, made some measurements and it was like new. Borg Warner recommends replacing the transfer case chain at 60k IF the case has been opened (seems open to interpretation)...but I digress.

Ford states that holding the wheel at full lock for more than five seconds can damage the power steering pump. Are you holding the wheel at lock when you describe "wheel cranked hard" ?

Check the front bearing assemblies as 'pos' has recommended. A wheel shake is a good test. Visual inspection helps too, as the sealed bearings may have lost their seal and the grease is leaking out. Mine felt ok, but were running dry and made a racket after long runs.

Back