• Register Today It's free!

two,two,two cats in one???

wabbit

Reaction score
City, State
Western Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
the white one...
I'm looking to replace my factory catalytic converter, which seems to be two seperate units. I just ordered a Borla cat-back system and I'm sure a high flow cat would be a plus.
This is what I need to know...
What recommendation for a high flow cat? Brand and p/n would be great!

How does the high flow cat compare to the stock unit as far as is it also a two piece?(hope not..) Is it the same length?
Can I install it and still bolt up my Borla system with no modifications?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 91 XLT 4wd

------------------
'91 Explorer XLT 4WD

Wabbit, check out www.macprod.com or www.macmidwest.com-these are the websites for Mac Products. Their full catalog isn't online but I have a copy they sent me and there are a few explorer/ranger/navajo exhaust parts like headers, cats, and cat-back kits. The high-flow cat in the catalog comes as one piece, and there is only one cat on it. This unit is a direct bolt-in so there is no cutting or welding required. The catalog shows part # C4096 for the catalytic pipe for 90-96 4.0 V-6 Explorers.
The price shown in the catalog is $229.50.
Hope this helps.

Charlie

------------------
Charlie May
1992 Navajo LX 4x4

The factory cats can be replaced with any aftermarket high flow cat. There are several manufacturers of these, but I have always used More-Flo. The cats run around $100 and you will also need a two into one collecter to connect the Y pipe from the headers to the new cat. These run around $20. Any exhaust shop could install it for you and the total bill (may be more in some aeras) should run around $200. This is an excellent upgrade, well worth the money.
One final note: I have said this before but, This upgrade will NOT work on OBD-II ('96-up) Explorers.

Thanks for the info... Keep it coming Dead Link Removed
mr boyle; where did you get your More-Flow cat. I don't have headers so I'm hoping the cat will bolt right up and be the same length as the factory assembly. Any thoughts??
Also, I checked out the Mac site. These seem like fine products. I just can't swing $200+ for a high flow cat. $100 sounds more reasonable.

------------------
'91 Explorer XLT 4WD

Back