U-Haul alternative? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U-Haul alternative?

Rotorhead

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, AL area (northern NJ originally)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT
OK, I am sure that most of you know that U-Haul will not rent a trailer to us Ford Explorer owners. Having just learned this, U-Haul will never get my business again...but they will be just fine without me.

Any other companies out there that rent small, enclosed box trailers for one way cross country trips? I have done an internet search and come up with nothing. There must be someone out there that does it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about Penske? I think they compete directly with U-Haul.

Tell U-Haul that you have a Mercury Mountaineer. They haven't seemed to clue in that the Mounty is pretty much an Exploder in different clothing. The way they blacklisted the Explorer is plain silly. It's all related to the rollover controversy made infamous by the fact Explorers outsold all other SUVs by a wide margin back in the day. Of course the press made it worse than it was as well.

U-Haul is a lousy company anyhow. I remember seeing a feature on 20/20 or 60 Minutes about how horribly their fleet is maintained and how unsafe they are. I wouldn't use U-Haul even if I could.

How about Penske? I think they compete directly with U-Haul.

Tell U-Haul that you have a Mercury Mountaineer. They haven't seemed to clue in that the Mounty is pretty much an Exploder in different clothing. The way they blacklisted the Explorer is plain silly. It's all related to the rollover controversy made infamous by the fact Explorers outsold all other SUVs by a wide margin back in the day. Of course the press made it worse than it was as well.

U-Haul is a lousy company anyhow. I remember seeing a feature on 20/20 or 60 Minutes about how horribly their fleet is maintained and how unsafe they are. I wouldn't use U-Haul even if I could.

Looked at Penske. Can't find anywhere that they rent small trailers. Also, I do not have a hitch. My plan was to buy a hitch from UHAUL and then rent the trailer from them. I can't even begin to tell you how annoyed at UHAUL I am.

I used a Penske truck and car dolly about a month ago. 900 mile trip. The truck was in perfect shape and the dolly was too. Almost 300 dollars cheaper than U-haul. The "U" also won't rent to Sport Trac owners because of the ties to Explorer. Crock-O-Sh.. I'd recommend Penske to anybody. Call them and ask about a trailer. 1-888-996-5415. The only down side is that the truck was a GMC.

I recall a few years ago other members needed to rent trailers for one way trips. They enlisted friends with pickups to get the trailer from U-haul. They towed the trailer across country and returned it. Most U-haul stores didn't say anything on the return, but if they did just say your original tow vehicle broke down..

Most U-haul stores didn't say anything on the return, but if they did just say your original tow vehicle broke down..

Ooh- that's a good one. I'll have to remember that gem! :thumbsup:

Rotorhead,
I had my 2005 Sport Trac when I moved from Oregon to Kentucky for a flying job.
I ended up just buying a used 6x14 cargo trailer and re-selling it here. I lost a few hundred bucks in the process (I was in a hurry to sell), but it was worth it. The u-haul trailers often have issues with being heavy themselves, bad wheel bearings, and crappy surge brakes. I used them a lot for shorter moves behind the ranger. The cargo trailer I bought had electric brakes, and it was definitely worth it for the drive.

Back