• Register Today It's free!

uhhh help

k4e2n01234

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt 5spd man. auto 4x4
i am having a problem with my radiator. it is leaking coolant from either around the raditator cap it self or the reserve tank inlet hose i have already replaced the radiator cap and put on hose clamps around the top and bottom of the reserve tank hose. still leaking and the radiator is sucking the hell out of the reserve tank as well im filling up the reserve at least twice a day. so whats going on the cap rating is 13 lbs is this right and why is is draining the reserve tank???? please help me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The coolant has to be going somewhere..

Its either leaking somewhere or is going through the engine and out the exhaust which can be bad..

Assuming your not getting white smoke out of the exhuast, Check everywhere for a leak. I'd even go as far as washing the engine bay so I could see any leaks.

If you can't find the leak then its time for a compression check to see if you have a bad head gasket or cracked head. Another thing you can do is to fill the radiator and start the truck with the cap off and look in the radiator. If you see constant bubbles etc (i.e. not smooth movement of water) then you are getting combusion into the radiator which means something is cracked or the head gasket is bad.

~Mark

As Maniak stated, slightly rev the motor up with the radiator cap off. If it starts puking water out of the filler, you may have a blown head gasket.

@$#%!! $$$$$!!!!

Well thank you for the horrible news. LOL from what you guys described is excactly what is going on. There are bubbles and it overflows and there is white exhaust. so how then do I replace a head gasket is it an easy DIY fix or is it mechanic time. Also thanks for the quick diagnosis. Oh and how can i make sure its the gasket and not a cracked head will i have to just take a look??

You should do a compression check on it. How many miles are on it, and did it ever overheat badly? Depending on mileage and how hot it got, you may want to have the heads checked/rebuilt or replaced in addtion to doing the head gaskets.

Back