Um...is this safe?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Um...is this safe??

I am getting a set of 2000 Cobra R 18"x9.5" rims. They look great and I now just need a tire to match them. I have chosen Toyo Proxes S/T to do the job, but I have also chosen their size. Specifically, 255/55R18. Will these tires fit these rims properly?? Are there any issues that will have to be dealt with???

Basically, is this size of tire alright for my 18"x9.5" rim?? Thanks guys...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I talked to Toyo and the 255/55R18s can NOT be used on the 18"x9.5" rim I want....They suggest a 295/45R18 108V Toyo Proxes S/T....I think I'm good with that, but I am wondering how they will look....My stock tires bow out in the middle (between the top of the tire and the top of the rim) and I DO NOT want my tires to do that at all. I would like them to be flat so that you could basically take a pane of glass and put it on my tires and it would be touching ALL of the sidewall (or at least most)....Know what I mean?? Everybody understand what I mean by "bowing out"??? I want the tires to look sporty, not like the stock tires do(more like 98FordX24's tires; seemingly flat sidewalls, not bowed ones). I don't really care if the side wall is past the rim a bit (which it will have to be; 9.5" rim, 11.61" tire)....just so long as it's flat once it gets past the size of the rim, not bowed. Does anyone know what I mean? Help me out here, cause I want to order these things soon, but I want them to look good.... Thanks guys, you've all been quite helpful.....Can't wait to hear your responses...

PS: Any pics of an 18x9.5 rim with 295/45R18s would be SWEET....

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The reason your stock tires bow out like that is because the side wall is big and soft. If you have 295/45's the side wall will be smaller than mine. That makes it very stiff and will not bow out. It will probably be almost a straight line from the rim to the top of the tire. It wont be straight up and down because the tire is wider than the rim but it wont bow out. it will kinda go out at an angle right to the top of the tire. You know what I mean? \_/ Like that but not as much obviously.

Dude, Sean, go out on a limb and get the damn tires, slap em on the rims and enjoy. They'll look FINE, they are made to look sporty.

I know, I know....I'm being a complete wuss....I'm just being careful because this is the first >$1000 purchase that I've ever made...I don't want to have to return anything because I don't like it....

Which part of that is the tire and which part is the rim??

Do you mean that it's gonna look something like this??

_______
\XXXXX/
|XXXXX|
|XXXXX|
/______\

Vertical Lines: rim
Slanted Lines: sidewalls
Horizontal Lines: top/bottom of tire

(NOTE: In reality, you would NOT be able to see the rim from this angle of view; the "x.." stuff had to be there, ignore it)

It's called a TEST FIT. Go to your local tire place and have them test fit some damn tires on your rim. They will be more then happy to do it if they think your going to be doing business with them.

I don't have the rims yet, and I would like to order both the rims and tires at the same time if at all possible....See changes in my post as you were replying when I was editing....

Feed the ego:

So, I was correct?
As stated above, I believe it is a function of rim width and tire aspect ratio. 275/55/17's are taller than a 255/55/18's and will "bow out" more.

ToyoToyoToyoToyo

This is a non-Toyo 255/55/18 on 8.5's

foto33.jpg

Alright so here's the deal.....I've narrowed my choices down to two separate/different "packages"...Here they are

1) 18"x9" 2000 Cobra R wheels w/ Toyo Proxes S/T 255/55R18 ($1275 total)

2) 18"x9.5" 2000 Cobra R wheels (Replicas) w/ Toyo Proxes S/T 295/45R18 ($1495.80 total)

I'm still waiting on a paycheck that will come very soon (July 1), but I want to know which combination, if it were you buying the tires/rims , you would choose......

Currently, I am leaning towards one combination (I will not tell you which as I would like to see objectively what others think) and I will let you know which one that is after a few responses....Let's hear it guys....

PS: I included the "replica" and the pricing for a reason. Perhaps they would be a deciding factor for anyone.

PSS: The SVT Lightning has 18"x9.5" wheels with 295/45R18 tires stock. If you want a picture, just go look at one.

Get the 18x9's. They're plenty wide for a mid-sized SUV like an Explorer. Plus you'll be able to fit the tires on there better, and gain more traction. Besides the fact, they are CHEAPER and are not replicas! Seems like a simple decision to me! :rolleyes:

i would go with choice 1 for pretty much the same reasons that hartman said.

well... 295 width...
Do you have a dragster or an X
I think it will look stupid with that wide of a tire... nevermind if it would even fit or not.

See, I was leaning towards the 18"x9.5" w/ 295/45R18 package.....I know for a fact that stock SVT Lightning's come with this exact same package (rims just look slightly different) and it works for them. The few Lightning's that I've seen have looked nice as far as tires/rims are concerned, but I can't remember offhand exactly what it looked like. Anybody got a pic??

The main reason for my leaning towards choice 2 is only because the rims/tires are wider.....A bad reason perhaps....

You guys ARE starting to convince me that I should go with choice 1 though. Just to put the icing on the cake, anybody got a close-up of the rim/tire combo on a stock SVT Lightning???

you've got an explorer which is like a ranger. a lightening is a full size pickup. do yourself a favor and go with choice one to prevent a headache.

Your Explorer is not a Lightning! It does not look like a Lightning, therefore a rim/tire combo will look way different on an Explorer than on a Lightning. Lightnings are fast full size trucks, they need the wide rim to transfer all that HP into the wheels and gain more traction.

DO us all a favor and go with option 1!

Think about this:
Saleen puts your "option 1" (should say "put" in the past tense) with 8.5" rims on the XP8. They had to warranty the car for 3yr/36mo thru Ford dealers. Ford is not going to let any bogus, possible warranty causing claims come their way if they can avoid it.
As one who has owned both 275/55 and 255/55 on the same vehicle, I can tell you the car is happier about the 255's. The steering wheel does not shudder whaile making low-speed turns with the 255's. I wonder if the power steering pump was deisigned to move around that size meat.

Dont some explorer sports, eddies and limiteds come with 255's?

Alright.....got back from Florida yesterday and my paycheck was waiting, so it's time to do this....

You have convinced me to go with option 1

- 18"x9" 2000 Cobra R (REPLICAS, even though in the previous post I stated that they are real) ($189.75 a piece; $75 shipping all 4)
- 255/55R18 109V Toyo Proxes S/T ($129.00 a piece; $64 shipping all 4)

Total: $1414.00 (to my door)

However, I just want to make sure that these wheels are the proper offset and bolt pattern for my truck ('95 XLT) so here's the stats on the wheels:

Size -- 18"x9"
Bolt Pattern -- 5x4.5
Offset -- +24mm

Thank you guys....you have been more than helpful....

yup. to re-cap, they may or may not rub. if they do, it wont be hard to fix. 5x4.5 bolt pattern, and the offset is right. good luck.

Back