Upcoming trip to Southern Colorado | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upcoming trip to Southern Colorado

jnsnwt

Reaction score
City, State
Odessa, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT Sport, 5 Spd
We will be taking the '94 Sport to the Ouray and Silverton Colorado area on the 30th of this month and wanted to explore some of the back roads while there.

I have a forest service map that shows all the dirt roads, elevations and such. Now I need some recomendations from you folks on where to go. We are looking for ghost towns, scenic views, water falls and possible nude beaches :eek: Pretty much open to any suggestions from folks that have already been there.

We plan on spending 1-2 days off road with possible campout depending on the weather. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know they try and open the main trails, but you have to remember there will still be a lot of snow down there. Wished we had the extra money to come down and play with you guys. That is some really pretty country in the Ouray area.

For ghost towns definately go to Animas Forks which is around 10 miles from silverton. From Animas forks you can do Cinnamon pass. I did it with a foot of snow on the road and it wasnt bad. I dont know how much snow will be up there but know your limits. Other fun trails are Engineer Pass but it is a little harder, a stock explorer can do it just pick you lines well. Ophir is pretty easy and somewhat scenic. You need to get the book by Charles Wells vol 1 on Colorado trails. You can get it at 4x4now.com I think, there should be a link somewhere on the main explorer page which also helps this site if you click it and buy it.

Also look at this website: San Juan Adventures

Have fun. I am planning a trip up there later this year.

It's not wheelin' type stuff, but I guess there is a really awesome natural hot spring up in Ouray or nearby, that might be worth a look. I'm still looking for nude beaches around here, sorry :D

Originally posted by becker69
I'm still looking for nude beaches around here, sorry :D

There's a nudeist camp near Strawberry, AZ. Its on Fossil Creek Rd., but I guarantee you don't want to see it :eek:

Hope it's not too late.

Here's a link to my write-up, with pictures, of CCR2000 (That's Colorado Colors Run.) http://www.light-spark.com/4x4/ccr2000/
It was my first major event with Serious Explorations, so I ran with the stocker group. It will give you an idea of the scenery on some of the trails aready mentioned and some that haven't been. Keep in mind, though, that we ran in October, so the snow conditions will be very different. That high altitude snow that's been sitting on the trails for four or five months is VERY hard to break through.

I guarantee you don't want to see it
LOL... Funny thing about those nudist places. The only people there are the ones that don't care what their bodies look like. That's good for them, but bad for the rest of us that see them!! :eek:

There's a few hot spring resorts that are skin-friendly more north and east. One's called Valley View Hot Springs. http://olt.org/maps/directions.htm. Another is called Orvis.http://www.orvishotsprings.com/maps.htm I've never been to those, but thought about it when I lived up there and was into the hot spring thing.

Thanks for all the good input.
I'll have to save it till I can make it up to Colo. This weekend trip has been cancelled to a change in work schedule, bummer.

Back