Update Would you call this totaled?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Update Would you call this totaled??

roush9799

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Wife was in an accident 2 1/2 weeks ago. She's ok. The party that hit her insurance never made contact with us which they have progressive so we finally just turned it on on our own to let them fight it out. It's a 2017 limited 58,000 miles 2wd. I talked with the body shop at the dealer yesterday and he said he's over $15,000 in damages. It's been there for a week now and still waiting to hear back on insurance. I lit a fire under them again last night so hopefully I hear something soon. At least they are providing a rental. She was hit by a 2001 Grand Marquise and it was about windshield deep under the Explorer. Most damage is underneath and rear, back doors still open/close fine. There's one small krinkle above passenger rear door.

20210424_144712.jpg
20210424_144549.jpg
20210424_144414.jpg
20210504_182401.jpg
20210424_144531.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn’t want it back. I’d say that it most likely is.

Definitely has structural damage and book on a FWD maybe around $20,000 -$23,000 resale value with that mileage.
Brad

I agree that it is likely a write-off. That buckle in the bodywork above the rear door shows it must have been a fairly severe impact. Also, that piece is one complete panel from the back to the front. Your right rear wheel structure also took a hit.

Peter

I would say it is a total loss, the rear spare tire compartment, rear wheelhouse and the buckling of the upper quarter panel, those are all very difficult areas to fix correctly. Then there is all the additional items that need to be replaced, if they are saying $15000 just looking at it, I would add about 5000 more once they start starting into it.

Then would you want it back after such major repair? I know I would have my doubts.

Progressive and Allstate really do suck. Hopefully the other person has more than minimum coverage. They like to drag it out to wear you down when it comes time to talk about how much money they are going to screw you out of. I'd be looking at new cars cause even if they fix it, it will never be the same. Did the other driver share what he was looking at on his phone at the time of the crash?

Call your insurance company and get advice about communicating with and dealing with the adjuster from the other company. You need to speak with an adjuster from your company, not anyone else, to see what the options are available and where the wiggle room can be found. You need to know what matters and what does not.

Many people would not want this vehicle back after such extensive damage, and I would agree with them. Hopefully, your adjuster, and the adjuster from the other company, can get this resolved to meet your goals.

Good luck!

With the unibody that these Explorers have it doesn't take much to total it.

If the other insurance company tries to low you tell them that they can talk to your lawyer.

Heavy impact from a big old car...the impact forces went through your Ex and other areas not directly hit may also be damaged - trans for example. Hope you get the whole amount. Would be hard to trust after that much damage.

Progressive and Allstate really do suck. Hopefully the other person has more than minimum coverage. They like to drag it out to wear you down when it comes time to talk about how much money they are going to screw you out of. I'd be looking at new cars cause even if they fix it, it will never be the same. Did the other driver share what he was looking at on his phone at the time of the crash?
Funny you mention that. She said she didn't see the turn signal. She said she looked up and it was too late.

Call your insurance company and get advice about communicating with and dealing with the adjuster from the other company. You need to speak with an adjuster from your company, not anyone else, to see what the options are available and where the wiggle room can be found. You need to know what matters and what does not.

Many people would not want this vehicle back after such extensive damage, and I would agree with them. Hopefully, your adjuster, and the adjuster from the other company, can get this resolved to meet your goals.

Good luck!
Our company has been handling it. They've just been slow. I talked to them and body man at the dealer today. They are having lack of communication getting the estimate turned in. He was trying to get ahold of the adjuster today to see what he needed to do to get the estimate to them. Hopefully we'll hear back tomorrow, or at least by week's end. I would rather it be totaled and look for another. They seem like they are far and few between right now getting another one with the option the wife wants. I don't think we can quite swing a brand new one yet.

I’ve had nothing but stellar luck with Progressive. Super fast, great value payouts and never and issues getting things fixed correctly.

I’ve had nothing but stellar luck with Progressive. Super fast, great value payouts and never and issues getting things fixed correctly.
Kind of makes me wonder if they even turned it in. She was 18 and probably only had liability on that old of a car anyways.

My experience was identical to the OP. Then when they did finally resolve the claim the payout was less than what farmers paid for an identical vehicle i owned that was hit in the rear 10 months prior. I have progressive commercial insurance for my business and once the policy is up for renewal I'll be an ex customer.

Kind of makes me wonder if they even turned it in. She was 18 and probably only had liability on that old of a car anyways.
I could see that happening, like the problem will resolve itself if they ignore it.

Amazing that one party slams progressive.., and another praises them🤷‍♂️!

Amazing that one party slams progressive.., and another praises them🤷‍♂️!
I'm sure you'll find the same reactions with many companies.

Peter

I wouldn't want that back. It will never be the same. Wheel bent out of alignment due to unibody damage = totaled.

I never go through another party's insurance. I call mine, tell them what happened giving them all the information I have of the other involved party(s), that I need a rental car, and tell them where I am taking the car for repairs. Let them collect the money from the other party(s). That's what insurance is for.

Funny you mention that. She said she didn't see the turn signal. She said she looked up and it was too late.
She looked up?...from what???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back