Upgrading head unit in my explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading head unit in my explorer

Aux819

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Limite
so I have a 99 explorer limited with the 5.0 and I am upgrading the head unit but trying to figure out if I have the Mach or something else. It has the stereo with the rds and cd and cassette plus a 6 disc cd changer with the factory sub woofer. It's a 4 door also. So idk if it's the Mach or not? How do I tell?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so I have a 99 explorer limited with the 5.0 and I am upgrading the head unit but trying to figure out if I have the Mach or something else. It has the stereo with the rds and cd and cassette plus a 6 disc cd changer with the factory sub woofer. It's a 4 door also. So idk if it's the Mach or not? How do I tell?

That is the Mach radio, it has five outputs, all bass goes to the woofer. The four door speaker outputs don't get low frequencies. The Mach and Premium both have the RDS button, but the Premium puts out four full range signals, and no fifth for a woofer.

That is the Mach radio, it has five outputs, all bass goes to the woofer. The four door speaker outputs don't get low frequencies. The Mach and Premium both have the RDS button, but the Premium puts out four full range signals, and no fifth for a woofer.
If I upgrade the head unit will I get bass out of the door speakers?

Yes, the frequencies are controlled in the Mach deck, the wiring is normal and good.

I have actually wired mine to work all the door speakers and the sub, couldn't be happier with the result. The wiring is a bit different than what I'm used to, someone here has the link to the actual proper adapters to make the sub work, and you have to refer to the radio manual to wire it as well as the adapter directions.

I have actually wired mine to work all the door speakers and the sub, couldn't be happier with the result. The wiring is a bit different than what I'm used to, someone here has the link to the actual proper adapters to make the sub work, and you have to refer to the radio manual to wire it as well as the adapter directions.
Where can I find that link?

Most radio supply sellers will have the adapters. The instructions are the key part, some brands don't come with much but a wiring color chart on the bag/package. So try to find one with more details, though it's really just about matching the wire colors of the two adapters(one from the new radio, and one for the car).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BF0CK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the adapter I used in mine. Mine wired up typically, but instead of the rear door speakers, the RR is the power lines for the sub woofer, the LR was unhooked, the RCA is plugged into the corresponding color. That's how my radio said to wire it. Now, I'm not liable if you do this, and something happens, but I have run all four door speakers through the front door channels, I quit that because didn't seem like a good idea on the wiring, and just put a really nice set of front door speakers in like it should've been to start with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BF0CK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the adapter I used in mine. Mine wired up typically, but instead of the rear door speakers, the RR is the power lines for the sub woofer, the LR was unhooked, the RCA is plugged into the corresponding color. That's how my radio said to wire it. Now, I'm not liable if you do this, and something happens, but I have run all four door speakers through the front door channels, I quit that because didn't seem like a good idea on the wiring, and just put a really nice set of front door speakers in like it should've been to start with.
OK yea that's what I was going to use

Yes, the frequencies are controlled in the Mach deck, the wiring is normal and good.
I just finished a setup in mine with the Mach system. Front channels appear to get full range.

Im using a JL fix-86 to convert signals to low volt and front is happy with the input from the deck. Rear is not. I unplugged the rear input and am only using front output from the stock deck. The JL pulls all of its signals from this and I most definitely have low frequencies to my subs.

Stock deck front channels to fix, front output from fix to jl 300/4, sub output from fix to jl 500/1. Rear output from fix not used as it couldn't get a good input signal.

Can't remember what deck is in my truck but you can get on that works with the stock sub and steering wheel controls. I think I had to get an adaptor for each but everything (except rear controls) works and sounds better

I just finished a setup in mine with the Mach system. Front channels appear to get full range.

Im using a JL fix-86 to convert signals to low volt and front is happy with the input from the deck. Rear is not. I unplugged the rear input and am only using front output from the stock deck. The JL pulls all of its signals from this and I most definitely have low frequencies to my subs.

Stock deck front channels to fix, front output from fix to jl 300/4, sub output from fix to jl 500/1. Rear output from fix not used as it couldn't get a good input signal.

That's interesting and good, that can help others who want to do something similar to what you did.

I have a Mach that I had an older expert repair for me, and he pointed out that the internal pre-amp signals exist inside these Pioneer decks. So he added RCA outputs to mine for me. I haven't gotten to adding amps and RCA cables yet etc, but I will eventually.

That's interesting and good, that can help others who want to do something similar to what you did.

I have a Mach that I had an older expert repair for me, and he pointed out that the internal pre-amp signals exist inside these Pioneer decks. So he added RCA outputs to mine for me. I haven't gotten to adding amps and RCA cables yet etc, but I will eventually.
I'll have to open it up and take a look. I'll wait until I order my new one but it'll be a fun project

The previous owner of my vehicle had a 'sub out' added to the mach deck in it.

I have a single channel sub amp under my rear right seat driving my sub. I haven't removed the deck, but I'm betting if I do an upgrade it will be very easy now.

I love the sound, and the factory look of my mach radio. What I don't like is the lack of bluetooth phone support (Like that stuff was even being thought of when the truck was made, lol).

The previous owner of my vehicle had a 'sub out' added to the mach deck in it.

I have a single channel sub amp under my rear right seat driving my sub. I haven't removed the deck, but I'm betting if I do an upgrade it will be very easy now.

I love the sound, and the factory look of my mach radio. What I don't like is the lack of bluetooth phone support (Like that stuff was even being thought of when the truck was made, lol).

I installed an isimple isfm23 in mine. About the best option without going to a bt deck.

Yes you still gotta tune to the frequency of your choosing but it works pretty well especially since I'm usually streaming music from my phone anyways so when a call comes in its as simple as answering it.

Buried the unit behind the dash and only have the mic and button coming out.

Interesting, I love gadgets like that.

Back