Upgrading stock system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading stock system

M

Mountaineer 5.0

I am interested in upgrading the stock audio system in my Mountaineer, it is a 1997 model with factory premium sound (not the JBL). The only addition I have made is an Alpine RF-modulated 6-disc CD changer. I want to keep the stock head unit because I think smaller aftermarket units look unsightly in the dash. Will adding a new amp and four speakers make a worthwhile diffrence? Does anybody know what speakers will fit in the doors? I believe the stock head unit is simply a pre-amp, does anybody know where the factory amplifier is located?

------------------
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Mods: Bug shield, K&N, and more to come

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I highly recommend replacing the factory head unit. Several manufacturers make head units that match the aesthetics of your interior (JVC, Eclipse, etc.) so it doesn't look like a small head unit shoved in a big dash opening.

I you decide to keep the stock head unit and modulated CD changer you can still get decent sound quality by adding an amp and aftermarket speakers. I recommend pulling the stock 5"x7"s from the front and replacing them with a good set of 6 1/2" separates (money allowing).

Thanks for the info, I have searched in many electronics stores as well as many dedicated car audio stores and no one was able to produce a head unit that fits into the big opening. Do you know of any particular models and where I could find one? If I do in fact change the head unit, do I still have to add an amp? Which would sound better? Some places told me it would be much easier to replace the factory amp in term of wiring. I would still like to retain the changer I have, it works very well. Anyway, if an amp is powering the system, should the power of the head unit matter?

------------------
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

I have seen head units that fit the Explorer/Mountaineer dash in a Crutchfeild catalog. I don't have one handy or I would supply make/model # info. Give them a call and tell them what you are trying accomplish. They are a good source for info even if you don’t buy from them.

Your listening habits should dictate whether you need an amp or not. Many head units are available with high power built in (up to 40 watts per channel). I recommend bypassing your factory amp no matter what path you decide to take. As always, your checkbook will play a major role in the equation.

I was pretty content with my factory premium sound system. I decided to upgrade speakers and it all snowballed from there. I now have about $2000 invested and a wife that wants to kill me (but it sounds soooo good).

Here's my current lineup:
* Kenwood 7003 CD player w/remote (great for the beach!)
* MB Quarts 6 1/2" separates up front
* Alpine V12 MV400 amp (custom mounted in right rear seat)
* Rockford Fosgate 200ix (custom mounted in left rear seat)
* Kicker 12" Solobaric in custom box (1 square foot)

I installed the entire system myself with help from friends that I lured with beer.

BTW, I have seen several posts asking about amp placement. As mentioned before both amps are mounted inside the back seats and I can supply pictures for anyone interested in this kind of stealth installation.

I think Clarion and Pioneer make those size radios more than most others. I'm not familiar with the newer Mountaineers, but I think you're talking about the 1.5 sized din? GMs are like that, so it's a large enough market to make them. If it's double din, there are some too, but I think it's going to be a little more money, because manufacturers will cram more features in them.

After wasting lots of money, and often overbuying, this is the conclusion on the order of buying things I've come to:

Speakers first. The sound difference will be immediate and ovbious once installed. I bought my radio first, but there's little difference if you have the same speakers sometimes.

Headunit second. If you have the Alpine changer, get an Alpine head unit that directly connects. A direct connection to the headunit outside of the antennae often will relay more range and frequencies with better sound transfer. New head unit will require a new harness, about 15 bucks, and new wiring harness, about another 15 bucks. All they do is take out your old radio, put the new one in, connect the new radio wires to the radio harness wire, which has a perfect fit plug into the sound system. High RMS radios may cause the stock amp to clip, (I had a Sony, and it clipped with 15 continuous watts) but now have an Alpine with much lower watts (7-12) and it does fine directly connected to the stock amp.

Finally, if you want more power, then go for the amp. Don't let those salespeople tell you what you need. The wiring is really not difficult that you need to buy a new amp and scrap the old one. Just look at what was written above. For one thing, they're salespeople, and sometimes, depending where you go, they are not the installers, just salespeople. It may sound better, depending on what you buy. They only tell you the wiring is difficult, and they'll say that because your factory head does not have RCA preouts. However, Audiolink sells a converter for under 40 dollars that can convert a speaker wire out to the an RCA connection.

You don't need to replace an amp just because you buy a new radio. New don't need to buy a new radio, just because you get a new amp.

Just trying to make sure you don't get wool pulled over your eyes. Good luck, Jon

Well I know for a fact that the Newer Ford BIG radios are really small radios with a big face plate. I was told this by a quality auto sound guy, when my buddy was getting an amp installed on his F150. Basically the top part of the newer radios is about 1/2" thick to fit behind a air duct of some sort. I am not so sure that is the case with the Explorer/Mountaineers but there is only one way to find out, take it out!

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport

Crutchfield is a great catalog to order from. I've ordered from them for years (home/car) and their products, customer service and prices are great. When you buy a radio, they will give you a free wiring harness. After you get your radio, amp, etc. you can call the technical dept. for help in installing it and the call is FREE. The phone no. is 1-800-955-9009 for a free catalog and they are at http://www.crutchfield.com Hope this helps Dead Link Removed EXPLORER-SPORT

[This message has been edited by EXPLORER SPORT (edited 04-15-99).]

Thanks again for the info guys. One big obstacle for me to upgrade my system has been the cost of installation. I am not really proficient in these things, although I did change the fron speakers in my last Mustang once. I might be able to change the speakers on my own, but I am not sure about the head unit or amp. The new Ford radio is a double DIN sized, I have looked behind there and it is mostly hollow. I also belive you need a special tool to take the face plate out.

Another question I had was whether the factory wiring will fit aftermarket speakers? Also, does anybody have any idea on how to get access to the door speakers? I see no screws or anything that would give me access to it.

------------------
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

This would definitely be a situation where you might want to get something from Crutchfield. If you want to do most of the stuff yourself, Crutchfield can help. Speakers are connected via plastic connectors to the wires. If you just added your own, you could still just cut and splice the new wires, no problem. If you get from Crutchfield, they will igve you the plastic connectors to directly interface the new speakers to the stock system, which just makes it easier.

The tool to take the radio out is likd 5 dollars at an autoparts store. It shouldn't be a problem.

If you are apprehensive about trying to blindly guess and open up your doors for speakers, Crutchfield also will seel you the general install schematics for you car, for 5 dollars flat. It will also come with a small free booklet that gives you hints and tips into how wiring and installing components is done. It's good to at least get this is you're unsure of stuff. Good luck, Jon

This would definitely be a situation where you might want to get something from Crutchfield. If you want to do most of the stuff yourself, Crutchfield can help. Speakers are connected via plastic connectors to the wires. If you just added your own, you could still just cut and splice the new wires, no problem. If you get from Crutchfield, they will igve you the plastic connectors to directly interface the new speakers to the stock system, which just makes it easier.

The tool to take the radio out is likd 5 dollars at an autoparts store. It shouldn't be a problem.

If you are apprehensive about trying to blindly guess and open up your doors for speakers, Crutchfield also will seel you the general install schematics for you car, for 5 dollars flat. It will also come with a small free booklet that gives you hints and tips into how wiring and installing components is done. It's good to at least get this is you're unsure of stuff.

To open the door panels, you will also want to buy a penel opener at the autoparts store, which is cheap too.

Good luck, Jon

hey ch,

just in case you didn't get my email i wanted to know where you placed your amps, in the useless plastic under the rear seats or on the floor. i would appreciate any info and pictures you could email me at millyou42@aol.com. if anyone else has some info on amp placement please email or post it. thanks

Hey CH,
I would love to see some pictures of how you put your amps in the back seat. I've got a Sport though, and I don't know if it would work the same as a 4dr. Also, did you have to make any door modifications installing 6 1/2's in the front? I've got 5x7's in the front and back and want to replace all of them. Thanks

------------------
B Flynn
flynbw01@wfu.edu
flynnhoss@aol.com

Hi, I also have a 97 Cadillac Eldorado that I changed the speakers and put an amp in. I kept on blowing the rear speakers. And I kept the stock head unit because I don't think changing facial equpiment is right. But I learned that the stock head unit was sending the music to the radio which was bad. Because all an amp does is amplify so it was amplifying bad sound which sends bad sound to the speakers. I HIGHLY recomend changing the head unit.

------------------
-Joe Saitta- 91 Explorer

I definitely think Crutchfield is the way to go. I bought a CD player for my Explorer from them. Customer Service is much more knowledgeable that the dolts around here. All wiring harnesses included, good instructions, and even the little pins to take out the factory unit. On their website you can enter your vehicle and it will give only show you the units that fit your vehicle.

Stang, did you say you changed the head unit in your 97 Eldorado? We had a 1996 STS and it seemed like the radio was shaped to fit the dash. How does it look in the opening.

Did you have the Bose system in your Caddy? We had it in our STS and it is by far the best factory sound system I have ever heard.

Back