Using the factory amplifier with other unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Using the factory amplifier with other unit

Matmax

Reaction score
I'm changing the factory radio of my 1992 XLT with a sony CDX-C6750 CD Receiver. At the moment I was able to connect the unit, but had to hardwire the connections from the gray connector that was attached to the original unit by doing the following

I connected the LT.Green/Yellow (memory feed), black (vehicle ground)and yellow/black (Power feed)cables from the gray connector to the yellow, black and red cables on the sony unit and it is working but no sound comes out. I know that I have to bypass the explorer amp. to connect the speaker wiring directly in to my unit. However, the sony comes with a Blue cable to connect to an optional power amplifer and line out RCA sockets for the speakers. My question is can I use the factory amplfier with this unit. The gray connector has 4 more cables labeled (Mute(blu), Radio Ground(org/blk),Radio Display(blk,lt.grn)and Radio Ilumination(lt.blu/red)).
I have read the factory amp. bypass help page and learned that the pin 3 of the speaker out & power in socket on the amplifier is for remote connection but don't know which one in the gray connector is intended for this, I don't think any of the four are for that. Do I have to wire directly from the new unit into the amplifier or get rid of it and hardwire the speakers input and output sockets bypassing the amp into the sony?.

any ideas?

Ricardo V.
92 XLT 4-dr 4.0L auto

P.S. sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

Your thinking is correct.

Was it this page you looked at?: Dead Link Removed

Or was it this one?: Dead Link Removed

See if these help you first.

However, you are right, you can't get any sound right now, because the factory amplifier needs a remote turn on lead too. You haven't connected it, so your radio is sending it sound signal, but the amp isn't passing it on to the speakers. You will still need to connect the radio's remote line out to your factory amplifier. It is considered optional, because most cars don't have an amp, but since you do, you'll have to connect it.

The first link will tell you how to bypass the factory amp if that's what you want.

I didn't bypass the amp, and everything has still worked very well, but then my radio has only a little RMS power. If yours is stronger, it might be a different situation for you, and you might want to think about bypassing it, if you think there is too much signal going to the factory amp.

Please let us know how it works out for you!

Jon

Back