Vacuum booster and master cylinder replacement. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum booster and master cylinder replacement.

Are the brakes more responsive since it's designed for a high speed performance vehicle? Are you planning on upgrading the rear drums to disc brakes or the front calipers to a dual piston set up?
I was given an 8.8 from an explorer with disc brakes. I'll swap those on the van. For the front, I have my eyes on a 13 inch rotor and 4 piston calipers. I think part of the reason the brakes are more responsive is cause the parts are new and properly function.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Long term update on this project. I've exploded a hard line on the rear axle. No rust or any signs of metal fatigue before the failure. I was driving to work, brakes failed in the parking lot at work. I'm going to the U pull and pay to get the parts to convert the rear axle to disc brakes. I'm replacing the rear springs and I'll swap in my 4.10 ratio axle. I need the 3.55 axle for the awd van project. When I swapped in the M5OD, the driveshaft I got has larger u joints than what was on the van, I'm resolving that mess too.

I got calipers and dust shields from the junk yard. I ordered the backing plates from North Racecars. I got pads, rotors, soft brake lines and caliper brackets from summit racing. Total cost is just under $400 for everything.

I swapped axles, the calipers hit the coil springs. I flipped the brackets and drilled new holes. I shortened the existing hard brake line and flared the ends to connect to the soft lines. While everything was apart, I changed the transmission yoke and axle side to 1330 style to match the driveshaft. I was using the jump size style, 1310 on one side and 1330 on the other, the driveshaft rubbed the yoke and the noise was driving me crazy. Just need to bleed the brakes and fill the axle with oil. When it is done I will post pictures.

20190115_170857.jpg
20190115_172650.jpg

Back