• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum module on the tranny???

no44specialk

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
hey guys, i'm trying to help my dad out with something. He has a 91 Explorer, 4.0 4x4, XL. and he's looking to find out how to change the vacuum module on the transmission, i think its also called the diaphram valve... if anyone has any information on the best way to do this... or anything at all i would greatly appreciate it!

thanks guys! :usa:

Do a search of the forums, and you will find your answer. The modulator is on the pass side of the trans. Your dad will either have to A: remove the exhaust system from the truck to get at the modulator or B: remove the pass side seat and center console(yes, the whole thing) and pull back the carpeting to get to the access panel just in front of the console to get to the modulator. I reccomend plan B. It is much easier than removing the exhaust and can be done in about 2 hours. Be sure to save the pin from the old modulator!!!!, to put back in the new modulator. :)

do a search for "vacuum modulator" or "modulator valve" and you will find a great step by step replacement with pics. I was able to replace mine without removing the seats or console. I just peeled the carpet back as far as I could and removed the access panel. It is dead smack in the middle of the trans hump. I did this in the dead of winter, so I brought the part and instructions to a shop and we did it together. I think it cost me 65 bucks for labor and took about an hour. The mech had never done it and used the instructions.

Back