• Register Today It's free!

Valve cover removal

john cris

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeport, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer XLT
Finally got around to doing valve cover and intake gasket’s and ran into a problem. The pipe that runs from the EGR valve on the throttle body to the exhaust manifold needs to be removed in order to get the passenger side valve cover off. The fitting that goes into the manifold is loose making it impossible to remove the nut that tightens the pipe into place. The pipe can’t be rotated 360 because it’s to close to the firewall. I’ve soaked it with PB blaster, heated it with a torch and *****ed at it all to no avail. The nut is 1 1/16” , the fitting is either 1” or 15/16” but I’m not sure. What size is that fitting? Maybe I can use 2 wrenches and get it to budge. To top it off, the wrench for the fitting will have to be thin. Otherwise it won’t fit below that nut.
What size, please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As it turns out one of you had done this before, thanks thammel for a good write up. Had to remove the splash shield from the passenger side wheel well to get a better angle on it. Had to modify a wrench since I didn’t have a 25mm for the fitting. Took way longer than I would like to admit just to get the fitting and pipe otta the way. Gonna need a new fitting for sure. I was never able to break the fitting loose from the nut, as it began to back out it just moved up the tube. Take a look at the picture, that’s how it came out, in one piece. GEEZ! And of course my torch was foobar so I couldn’t heat it. It was gettin dark so I just put some anti sieze on it and put it back together. Now I probably need a new torch (mapp) then I’ll try again. So the only thing that got done was the driver side valve cover. I’m too old for this.
At least it started right up, biatch!
EC6FAC87-E29B-4035-AAF4-D88FA9D9123D.jpeg

As it turns out one of you had done this before, thanks thammel for a good write up. Had to remove the splash shield from the passenger side wheel well to get a better angle on it. Had to modify a wrench since I didn’t have a 25mm for the fitting. Took way longer than I would like to admit just to get the fitting and pipe otta the way. Gonna need a new fitting for sure. I was never able to break the fitting loose from the nut, as it began to back out it just moved up the tube. Take a look at the picture, that’s how it came out, in one piece. GEEZ! And of course my torch was foobar so I couldn’t heat it. It was gettin dark so I just put some anti sieze on it and put it back together. Now I probably need a new torch (mapp) then I’ll try again. So the only thing that got done was the driver side valve cover. I’m too old for this.
At least it started right up, biatch!
View attachment 426561
Still haven’t got that fitting off the tube. Tried 3 times and it just won’t budge. Decided I’ll just jerry rig it. The fitting tightens to the exhaust manifold no problem but the tube won’t tighten to the fitting. It’s not loose just not tight like it should be. Any chance some kind of sealant would work? Wouldn’t need much, just not sure if anything will take the heat for very long. Suggestions please.

Still haven’t got that fitting off the tube. Tried 3 times and it just won’t budge. Decided I’ll just jerry rig it. The fitting tightens to the exhaust manifold no problem but the tube won’t tighten to the fitting. It’s not loose just not tight like it should be. Any chance some kind of sealant would work? Wouldn’t need much, just not sure if anything will take the heat for very long. Suggestions please.
Guess I’m talking to myself here but what the….. Got all the gaskets installed after basically doing the job over again. Had to remove both water lines to heater core and fuel line. Didn’t want to remove the fuel line, thought that oring would definitely leak. Got lucky there. After a couple hundred miles a leak has begun on the driver’s side valve cover closest to the firewall. It’s leaking from the seal for the bolt that goes through the cover. I removed, cleaned and reinstalled but after a few miles has begun to leak again. It’s not the cover, just the seal on that bolt. Seal is new a looks undamaged I’m looking for a sealant that can handle the heat and last. Anyone got experience with this?

83654F45-6A26-4874-A60E-237A3144CC69.jpeg

Ultra black RTV?

Back