• Register Today It's free!

Valve job needed?

musicman76

Reaction score
City, State
houston Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96-97 ford aerostar
I had a leaking head gasket in my '96 aero so i've torn it all down to the short block. First time i've seen this engine disassembled. Anyway, I lopped all the valves since the heads were off, amazingly clean which surprised me. Then I put the heads back together and was just checking things out and noticed that the valve stems are at different heights, maybe up to 1/8 of an inch from high to low. So, my question is, do the lifters compensate for this, since there is no adjustments to the valve train, or do the valves need to be replaced, possibly the rocker assembly also? No noise came from the engine before the tear down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, yes, I do.. It is a 4 litre and I did not think at the time that would be important. Guess I figured the 3 and 4 were basically the same. so guess i'll go fire up the old computer and check it out. The newer computer will not let the old software load. Still, do you know if the valve height differential is a problem? Do the lifters compensate for that? I really need to get this van back together because i'm working out of a 91 mustang which realllllly does't fill the bill.

When you do a search, remember to use OHV along with the other keywords since there are two types of 4.0L engines. The later model Explorers have a 4.0L SOHC. The original 4.0L in your model & other RWD Fords is a 4.0L OHV.

Guess I need to be an elite explorer because I fail to get an answer to my ?'s. N o problem there, I can't do it now, have to go out for supper. Get back to you later.

Well,I should now be an elite. Kinda wondered what a wannabe elite was. Now I know. The link you provided was helpful. Seeing the amount of wear on the rockers and cups for the pushrods was more than I have. Believe I will be putting the heads, and lower intake, back on today. That is the new procedure for this engine. Heads first, 44lbs, intake next, then the heads down to 56lbs and then turning them an additional 85 deg more, which I found interesting. Hope all goes well and I get my aero back. Plan on yanking out the '97 guts to rebuild and put into this '96 when the time comes. My '97 did have a little valve clatter, but it also had 170k on it. The 96, 124k.

Back