Vibration at Highway Speeds

CougarX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '02 ST, '97 XLT
I've recently replaced the radius arm bushings (for the 1st time in the explorer's life...) and had the tires balanced trying to get rid of a pretty bad vibration in the truck at speeds over 55-60. The vibration feels like a tire out of balance and that's why I had the tires balanced. The vibration is in the whole truck but is mostly noticable through the steering wheel. The shocks seem fine (no excessive movement after hitting a bump) but they've also never been replaced.

My Explorer has 138000 miles on it but this is the only real problem that it has.

------------------
--------------
Brad Bottoms
92 XLT 4x4
My Philosophy is "Bigger is ALWAYS Better"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With that many miles i would replace your stock shocks. Also i had the same vibration. I never replaced the radius bushings, but i fixed the problem by changing my rotors. they were warped and i guess that threw it out enough to cause it to vibrate.

------------------
Brian
94 2wd
4" Fabtech Lift
265/75/16
Clears all the way around

I just had my rotors and drums turned(for shuddering during breaking) so that's not it. Any other suggestions anybody?

------------------
--------------
Brad Bottoms
92 XLT 4x4

You mentioned that the vibration can also be felt through the steering wheel. Have you checked your front wheel bearing, your ball joints and other front end components, and your engine mounts. Just a few thooughts on the matter.

May your cure be swift, cheap and easy to repair. Dead Link Removed

Syder-1

------------------
doo doo happens

have u checked your U-Joints? That sounds like a problem i was having and changing the U-Joints helped. Hope this helps

you could have a driveshaft problem, out - of balance!
check for tabs welded to it. ( balance aid )
maybe you lost one.
.....also the type of motor you find in explorers is not a very smooth operator!
it`s an european design from the late 60`s for european fords (very reliable)
and it started out as a 2.9 if I remember correctly.......good luck "E"

[This message has been edited by Ewald G Gruber (edited 02-20-2000).]

have u checked your U-Joints? That sounds like a problem i was having and changing the U-Joints helped. Hope this helps

Thanks for the info guys. I'll check my driveshaft since I just replaced the u-joints last fall. I was just under there last week to grease the u-joints and I don't remember any missing weights but I wasn't looking either. Is it possible to check the shocks or should I just replace them since they're so old?

------------------
Brad Bottoms
92 XLT 4x4

[This message has been edited by CougarX (edited 02-20-2000).]

CougarX
I had the very same problem. I replaced RA bushings,rotate and balance, front end alignment,checked front end components for wear(they were okay) and it still vibrated and shook. It ended up being a flat spot on one of my tires. If that particular tire was on the front, it shook violently at 55+mph, and if it were on the back, i still experienced a slight vibration in the front. I had the tire replaced and i have no vibration what so ever now. Liked to have never figured this out.
Hope this helps.

------------------

shawna l.

CougarX,

First thing to do, jack up the front end so the wheels are off the ground. Grab the wheels and feel for any sort of play back and forth, up and down, and side to side. Look for abnormal wear patterns on the tires (wearing on one side, cupping, etc).

If all looks good, try rotating your tires from front to back and see if your problem stays the same or moves. If it moves, chances are it is a bad tire or tires. I had a similar problem and it was a cupping in the tires caused by loose wheel bearings. Had the tires trued and balanced and the problem is gone.

Good luck. It may not be as bad as you think.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4
What do Playboy and National Geographic have in common? Just a couple of the places I will never get to visit.

I tried all of the above fixes as well. I even had the driveshaft removed and sent to a place that does driveshaft balancing, but no help. I tried new u-joints, new tires, nes brakes, turned the roters, tightening all wheel bearings - no luck.
Ford has a TSB which corrects this. It is TSB-96-4-16. It calls out part number F67Z-6K007-AA; which is 2 NEW engine mounts and 1 rear lateral mounted shock. You can get the parts and install it if you want to, but the price that I was qoted was $:830.00. I decided to put up with the vibration until I get rid of the car. :fire: :shoot:

Back