• Register Today It's free!

Vibrations and shudders

banspy

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4
First off, I really want to express my appreciation to everyone who has helped me with my exploder. This thing is really driving me nuts with everything that I've had to fix to still have issues. I figure that by the time I get everything fixed, I should be able to write some good how to forums and pass on my experiences!

Since I bought the truck in April this is what I've had to deal with. (Poor gas mileage, shifting problems, poor driveability, broken CMP synchronizer, electrical problems, vibrations / noises, and a miriad of other things.

Let me briefly (yeah sure) try to rundown what has been done thus far:
New shocks x4 (5th shock not done)
New rear U-joints
rebuilt tranny from PHX hardparts since other one was bad
changed all fluids everywhere
New CMP sensor and syncronizer
Plugs & wires
New TPS
Wheel balancing twice
*Getting ready to do both halfshafts*
Cleaned MAF, IAC, DPFE, and throttle body
New VSS attached to transfer case

So at this point the truck should run like new...not quite! I am still getting poor mileage (I know that exploders are notorius for poor mileage but 12-13 MPG HWY is ridiculous!) I still have a wierd vibration at any speed, only getting worse the faster I drive, and of course the bad autohub!

When I replaced the tranny, I thought that the vibration would go away no such luck. I replaced rear u-joints, no change. I removed the front driveshaft all together, no change in vibrations. I checked the bearings...they feel fine, no horizontal / vertical play. I had the tires balanced, no change.

I really need help with this vibration / noise. It seems that the faster I drive, the louder and more pronounced the vibration is. I also noticed that after 50 MPH, the speedometer seems to bounce back and forth about 2-4 miles on the guage. It does this when I manually drive or if I have cruise set. I am aware that some driveability problems can be attributed to the poor mileage so I will tackle that after the vibration is gone.

Any ideas? These are some of my theories to the problems:
CV joint causing vibration, tires bad, hubs causing vibration, tranny still causing some shake, maybe bad choice of plugs, bad gas...I could go on and on about what I think it is but I need some real experts, I'm just a little ole shade tree mechanic!

Thanks again and when this is all over, I am going to write one huge how to thread on everything I've done along the way (thankfully, I've been taking notes as to what works and what doesnt work!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I wouldnt recommend this but I did it just because I'm running out of wits end. I really dont know if this did anything or not, but this is what I did:

first, unbolt the sensor from the manifold, label and remove the hoses and pigtail.

I cleaned the terminals with electric cleaner spray and let it dry. I then sprayed some of the electric cleaner in the hose ports while holding it upside down so the excess ran out.

After letting it soak in for a few, I then took some pipe cleaners and fashioned a little "bore brush" if you will and cleaned the inside of the housing and tubes. Some blackening came out on the pipe cleaners so maybe it worked...I really dont know. It seems that after I did that, it idled somewhat better but again, I replaced a bunch of things so it might not have worked at all.

I do recommend waiting until the sensor and housing is completely dry before rattaching it to the manifold though due to the vapors it might contain and that temperature it gets to while the vehicle is running.

So...any ideas on my problems? LOL

HAHA how funny...and I thought you were being serious but after looking at your truck and all the mods....WOW! SWEET!

Im guessing you probably know all about the DPFE...Thats ok getting my chain yanked, i needed a good chuckle!

So with all your mods do you have any ideas on getting my POS exploder right?

The vibration may be caused by the rear driveshaft output in the transfer case. i know i get vibrations in my truck, and come to find out my transfer case output has a lot of slop in it, you can tell by pushing on the driveshaft up near the case, if it moves then its bad. i still need to fix mine. hopefully this helps!

Back