• Register Today It's free!

Voltage

Explorer94GV

Reaction score
City, State
Springdale, Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT 97' XLT AWD V8
Ok i added my cap. and new battery from stinger a few days ago. My voltage reading off the cap states 14.9 and it does not dip below 13.7 After about 3 hours straight of music it went down to about 14.1 and began to dip back and forth to 13.7 Well the next day i came out and the voltage was back to normal at 14.9 and with just regular music it never goes down past 14.5 now with a bass cd thats a different story. Ok here is my question. My amp is rated at 14.4 volts 1771 watts and is 70% efficent. Since i have 14.9 volts what would happen if i added a battery dedicated just for that amp? Would it over power it and give off too many volts? I talked to one of my friends dad who used to be a judge for outlaw spl back in the day and he said back than the amps had electronic diodes that if the amp recieved to much voltage it would dispate it thourgh the fins (heatsink) into the air. What do you all think? I have 2 3" fans and 1 4" fan for the amp to keep it cooler. Also i have a stinger sp1000 battery, 200amp alt., and RF digital 1.0 cap. I get no headlight dimming and i can play the music with a/c on and only lose about .1 to .2 volts :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A second battery wouldn't blow up the amp. They are built with a certain tolerance for volts entering them. Make sure you use a Dual battery isolator in the install though....

ok yes i was going to use one of those just wanted to double check and make sure it was fine thxs.

I would not use a battery isolator. You will end up with a voltage drop across it. The bad thing about battery isolator is that one battery will not always get a full charge because the voltage regulator can not sence the voltage on the battery.
The way I do it is to have the customer buy 2 brand new batteries of the same model and use a hi-current solinoid to isolate the 2. It is set up so that when the car is of the solinoid only alows the system to run off the AUX battery. When the ignition is on the solinoid will parallel the 2 batteries together allowing the voltage regulator to see both batteries and charge both properly.

All you need is one. The relay would go up front by the battery. You would run a 4 gauge back to you battery in the back. You have to make sure that all the batteries are the same make model and age to get them all to charge properly.
The most important thing to remember is that you have to put a fuse at the battery up front on the 4 gauge to the back battery and one at the back battery on the line before you connect it to the AUX battery.
This is to protect the car if the line should short any were along the chassis of the truck.

I already have 0 gauge laid down and have it fused. Thxs. i will be doing this soon when i can get some free time.

Back