• Register Today It's free!

vss MIA

Drummer1

Reaction score
City, State
Cave Creek ,Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6L Limited
Ive been a lurker for a while now(there is enough info here to keep me occupied for months,soooo much info here)I tried to find a post with my problem already delt with and no luck-here is my problem

A "mechanic" friend of a friend swapped a new transmission into my 1993 Mazda Navajo,all is great,except and I will quote him "I left your VSS layin in the driveway,I couldnt find it,so I just stuck your speedo cable in the hole without it,you can get them at Autozone for like 15 bucks"and that was that.----fast forward-want my cruise control back so I went to replace the VSS and the speedo cable is "stuck" in the transmission and pulling on it with my hands wont get it out,i'm no stranger to workin on cars and trucks.My questions are has the speedo "fused" to the gearing inside? Can I just force it out without trashing my speedo cable,maybe "pry" or pop it out?.sorry for the long post and if its not in the right place.

I have only dealt with the 4x4 version of the speedo cable. The cable goes into the VSS and another cable comes out the VSS and the speedo gear is held onto that cable with a little clip. A small piece of metal is bolted to the side of the transfer case which holds the speed gear into the transfer case.

I don't think I ever tried to put the speed gear right on the speedo cable (without the vss). Assuming it goes in like that, the speedo gear should not be "held" into the trans/transfer case with more than that single 10mm bolt. I can't see it getting "stuck" in there. I do remember having to give it a good "yank" to get it out though, so I guess that could feel "stuck".

~Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark/Maniak,I guess I'll just see if I can't get it out and hope for the best.I'm sure I'll be posting if it goes bad.Thanks again!

Back