Warrior Shackle Concern | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warrior Shackle Concern

briantf

Reaction score
To anyone with the extended shackles;

I put them on my wife's 98 XLT on Wed., along with about a 1" crank to the bars. All is fine, EXCEPT:
I took out the factory 13/16" bolts and replaced them with the provided 3/4" bolts from Warrior (which fit the shackles- the larger ones didn't). They're loose in the bushings both top and bottom.

Is this a terrible thing, so much so that I should drill out the warrior shackles and put the factory bolts back in??

Based on driving it and how it sounds, I'm inclined to think it's not a huge deal, but I'd really appreciate any input.

Best,
Brian in CA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never used extended shackles, but using a too small bolt through the spring eyes is not safe. You will get uncontrolled spring movement, causing erratic handling (aside from the noise.) I would imagine that the bolt would wear and break in not much time.

I suggest drilling the shackles and using the factory bolts.

Make sure there is enough material remaining on the shackles after enlarging the factory holes. You need to be careful not to weaken the shackles by drilling too large of a hole.

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

Brian,

I've got the Warrior shackles in my 91 and the bolts were a perfect match. I would definatly contact the shop you got them from or Warrior Products as soon as possible to get the right bolts. Over time, besides being annoying, the bolts could fatigue and break. I would not drill the shackles out as you would void any warranty not to mention the fact they were designed with that diameter hole. Don't go to Home Depot and get a replacment bolt. You need a hardened bolt of the same grade. There should be a number on the top.

Best regards.
hg

------------------
'91 EB, 4dr, 2wd
www.grimmick.com
hank@grimmick.com

Thanks much for the input.

I'm going to call Warrior and find out what's going on. I'm inclinced to just drill them out - voiding a warranty on a $50 piece of equipment doesn't make me too nervous, and there's LOTS of spare metal in them.

I did notice some clunking this weekend, so they may be moving/shifting.

Thanks again,
Brian

Sent an email about 9 AM to Warrior, got an email back about 11:15. Not bad at ALL!

Expressed my concerns, they're going to look into it for me. They also mentioned that they have general purpose swaybar disconnects that definitely work on Rangers and some that should/may work on Explorers. I'll definitely look into that.

Great customer service!!

Brian

I put these shackles on my 94' XLT this past weekend. They fit fine. I've driven about 250 miles on them so far with no problem. They must have sent you the wrong bolts.

------------------

I have 15000 miles with them on my 97 Sport 4x4 and no problem!!

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

I've put 30,000 miles on mine with no problem. Since I'm the one that got them to make 'em in the first place it distressed me to hear you had a problem. It's great to hear that they backed up their product with superior customer service.

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Dead Link Removed
"What the heck is he doing out here in that thing???"

I had trouble getting the supplied bolts through the shackles. I had to scrape some of the grey coating away from inside the shackle bolt holes to get the suckers thru.

------------------
'97 Sport 2WD
Borla Catback / K&N FIPK / Warrior Lift

Same bolt fit problem as Brian...

Did WP ever get back with you on the bolt size problem?
My set #WAR153 came with 1/2" bolts.
I know it's been awhile but I seem to be facing the same problem. I also got a complete shackle bushing set and the WP bolts fit too loose in the bushing sleeves.
I'll get a E-mail to WP and see what they say but any quick help on what's up with this bolt size issue would be helpful...
I am waiting till I get info on this to install the shackles.

[Edited by wabbit on 08-08-2000 at 09:12 AM]

I answered this on another thread and could not find it. The tight fit of the factory bolts may be a result of the fact that they are not cut, but formed/pressed onto the 1/2" bolt. the excess metal once part of the bolt spreads out the thread diameter. In other words, your factory bolt is 1/2", but if you mike the threads at the end of the bolt you will find that they are several thousanths over 1/2". I can't remember but mine were something like 50 or 60 over.

Warren, just ream/drill out your shackles a little bit to fit the bolt through and use your factory bolt. Scott, you mentioned to be careful not to take too much out and weaken the shackle. You've obviously not seen these. They are VERY heavy duty and bulletproof; much stronger and more stable than the factory shackles. I lost no stability using these at all even though they will lift your rear 1.25" -1.5" taller. I figure the more massive Warrior shackle design is so solid it is more unyielding than the factory design, so the loss in stability from height is made up for by the more rigid design.

Hope all that helped.

Allrighty then...

I will get the shackles drilled to accept the factory bolts. I'm still gonna check with WP to hear their story. Gerald, thanks for the speedy response. BTW, where is the best(cheapest)place to get hockey pucks for a body lift like yours? I need what,10?

Warren

Any decent sporting goods store ought to have them. I went to Oshman's. $1.50 apiece, ten pucks, a $15 lift.

And Warrior's story would be to blame it on me. I provided the original dimensions of our shackles and helped them design the shackle. I informed them that they were 1/2" bolts. It never occurred to me to mention the expanded threads. Warrior is just providing what they thought they knew about.

You can shoot me.Dead Link Removed :shoot:

[Edited by GJarrett on 08-08-2000 at 02:09 PM]

Factory bolts/holes wer 9/16" or metric equivalent

Sorry for not following up on this, I fixed it a long time ago and forgot to put it up here.

The hole in the spring eyes of my wife's 98 XLT and the factory bolts are 9/16" in diameter (or the metric version of that, my calipers showed 14MM +/- a little bit). The Warrior supplied bolts were 1/2" by 5", right length, wrong diameter. It wasn't even close to fitting properly, in case you were wondering, and it made a racket in the back sliding around.

I bought a 9/16" drill bit, pulled them off, popped the shackles on a drill press, fixed them right up. When I put them back on, the dadgummed 9/16"x4" grade 8 bolts I had were too short (blank-blankety-blank-blank-blank!!!).

The factory bolts are _really_ short, like 4.5", but they work just well enough. I have 9/16"x5" grade 8's on my shopping list, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I guess Ford hasn't decided what diameter to make their spring eyes. BTW, this truck was made 8/11/98, so it's the end of the line for the 98's.

Best,
Brian

difference in shackle bolt dia's on early/late model Explorers???

Gerald,
Instead of shooting you, would you maybe trade me 10 hockey pucks for this brand new set of (4)ea. 1/2"-13x4.5" gr5 bolts and matching 1/2"-13 lock nuts? All items include the finest luxurious zinc coating... ;)
I'm still wondering why some people said they fit perfectly... From what I'm looking at, the correct bolt size is more like a 9/16". And that's a big difference. But Hank has a 91' and said his fit fine. Well, at least I know what to do to get mine set up right. It's just the QA guy in me that's hoping WP will get it resolved for future customers.
Also, my Energy Suspensions leaf/shackle bushing kit is very complete and includes the bushings for the front leaf/body pivot. Has anyone ever replaced this and are there special considerations???
Thanks,
Warren

Okay, you got me curious

I was answering out of memory and mine slips some after a year or so... I don't think I have Alzheimer's yet but admit I may be at Halfzheimer's. So I went out and remeasured.

My stock shackle bolts were just as I said. .500" bolts with expanded threads that miked out at .548". I still have them; the Warrior bolts worked fine on mine. One of two things is going on here. We have different bolts, some 1/2", and some 9/16". Or, since 9/16" is .562", the tolerances were loose enough to cause some trouble. I am not sure of the true metric conversion equivalent of 14mm off the top of my head, but it's dang close to a 9/16.

Has anyone else actually miked their shackle bolts and CONFIRMED they are .562 or thereabouts (14mm) instead of .500"? And whether the threads on the bolt are the same diameter, or 45-50 thousanths larger like on mine?

Gerald

the "skinny" on WP shaclke bolts...

The factory bolt is a 14mm dia. but it is a strange one... As Gerald was saying the threads are larger than the shaft on the bolt. The middle of the bolt drops down to approx. 1/2" dia. but the threads AND a 3/4" long shoulder near the head are spec to 14mm bolt dia. The riding surface diameters are 14mm bolt spec. A 9/16" bolt is also a suitable replacement. That is what I'm using.
The WP rep recommended that I use the 1/2" supplied bolts. I just couldn't bring myself to do it because I don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that it's just too sloppy loose!!
I'm hoping that WP will rev. this product to include the correct bolt size.

Warren

Where the heck can I buy some of these shackles? I asked WP and they said JCWhitney, saw nothing on thier sight or in the catalog. No shackles what so ever. I want some, where for me to get them please?
Dead Link Removed

I wrote the company and some guy gave me these places. I ordered mine from desert rat. They should be coming in on thursday. Try the following Mail Order
companies:
JC Whitney 312-431-6188
Lean Rosser Jeep 800-633-4724
Macromotive 800-947-7007
Quadratec 800-745-6037
Desert Rat 520-790-8502 (should have in stock)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Seth, just ordered them from Desert Rat.

Back