Water Pump Bolt Placement / Schematic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water Pump Bolt Placement / Schematic

Elktrekker

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Hello, all. Working on my daughter's 1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 water pump.

I've snapped two bolts to extract the pump... one by accident, snapped like butter, and the other I cut and used a dremel to grind it down to level with the pump (after heat, vise grips, PB and prayer didn't work)... still can't get that bugger off.

In my haste I made no note of where the bolts go in the pump. I've ordered a manual, since my town doesn't have that particular one, but in the meantime, does anyone know where these bolts go (along with the three new bolts I bought as a kit)? Is there a schematic "explosion" in the manual that shows which bolts go where? That would be one less thing to worry about.

Oh, any tips to pry that dang water pump off would be appreciated as well.

Thanks, much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this job last year. Unfortunately, I did not write down which bolt went where - I made a drawing on a piece of cardboard using the new gasket and stuck the bolts in it. There are 4 or 5 different lengths. Don't bother with the three bolt Dorman kit - there are 9 bolts I believe and none of the Dorman's worked anywhere. I took the old bolts to Fastenall and matched them up.

PS I was replacing the timing cover also; I separated the pump and TC off the engine. My advice - whack the pump a few times from the side, then start prying somewhere. Good luck.

I'm probably going to have to take the timing cover off as well. Is it easier just to take it off as one unit? Disappointed about the bolt kit. It will be hard to match the bolt I cut / ground off! It did give me sick satisfaction to take the grinder to that pig.

Thanks.

water pump

i had a water pump put on mine,seems like every time you replace the water pump the timing chain cover leaks,like to never got the bolts out,the timing chain cover was a ***** to get back on ,on account of the oil pan.had one bolt break and luckily the garage found one.

Not that it will help you now, but what I do is take a cardboard box, trace the part (eg: water pump) and it's holes, punch holes in the cardboard, then as I remove bolts poke them into the cardboard to keep them in their proper location.

Not that it will help you now, but what I do is take a cardboard box, trace the part (eg: water pump) and it's holes, punch holes in the cardboard, then as I remove bolts poke them into the cardboard to keep them in their proper location.

Well, it will help me in the future, that's for sure. Thanks for the tip!

This is the best I could do so far.

Capture.jpg

Thanks, that helps somewhat. I wish I could nudge the image over a little!

Thanks for the help, though.

Wish I took a picture when I did this job a couple years ago, but not to worry: I have a bit of coolant leak from the top of the timing cover, so just wait a few months and I will get a second chance :)
On a more serious side, I think that you can get a good handle on the situation by just judging the length of the bosses in the water pump. The longest bolts will certainly go through the longest bosses. To be sure, just screw them by hand into the block until they bottom out and check the free length.
If you are wondering about the studs, the extra nuts do not hold the pump: they are just for attaching the crank sensor and oil pressure switch wire harness clamps. If those studs are rusted or damaged, you can replace them with simple bolts and get creative with attaching the wires to something else. Good luck!

Place the bolts in the holes; when they are in the proper holes (not screwed in, just placed in the holes) they will all stick out the same length, maybe an inch or less if I remember correctly.

Bill

I can nudge it over. Which way do you need it nudged over?

Also is the 351 water pump bolts similar to the 302 setup or totally different?

I can nudge it over. Which way do you need it nudged over?

Also is the 351 water pump bolts similar to the 302 setup or totally different?[/QUOTE]

If you could nudge it left to see the rest of the bolts if they are there. I'm guessing the 351 would be different, but I'm not sure.

I did manage to pry off part of the water pump. Yup, sucker broke right at the bolt that I ground down. That might not have been the best move... shearing it off would have been better. Now I'm working on removing the timing cover.

Wow. The nightmare continues. I got the water pump off in 2 sections. It broke in one corner. Had two bolts showing about 3/4" to 1", on opposite corners of the pump. Took off every bracket in the way. Had a friend help me, and we got the left bolt off. The right was really soft it seems and pieces of the bolt kept coming off. Tried heat/PB/grips, nope. Mig welded a nut to the shaft. Nope. Couldn't get a clean weld. Pounded a 6mm socket on... kept rounding the shaft. Final word... gonna drill it out, tap it or put in a heli-coil and call it good. Anyone have success drilling out and tapping the timing cover?

water pump

my advice would be ,pull the timing cover,after its off you will still have some of the bolt sticking out of the block,with a little luck you just might be able to get it out.at least you will have something better than what you have now.unless it broke flush with the block.

When i did my 99 5.0 timing cover gasket a few months ago i took lots of pictures to make sure i got it all back together right.

LaNn9L4.jpg

Bolt Placement

You are awesome! Thanks very much for that photo. I see that all of your bolts are intact... nicely done. I ended up drilling out the bolt and replacing it with a heli-coil. It seems to be holding very nicely. To be honest, a friend did it for me while I was at a funeral. Now, I've got to find two replacement bolts. Ford can't order any. This helps tremendously, though!

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the layout of the 5.0 water pump bolts- start right above the left water hose and go clockwise.. for all those that order bolts and can’t use the OEM bolts

image.jpg

Back