Water pump failure leads to dead engine | Page 48 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Should Ford cover part of all of this repair out of loyalty?

• Yes, a water pump failure at 95k should not destroy an engine

Votes: 155 87.6%
  • No, and please quit whining about it

Votes: 22 12.4%

• Total voters
I am referring to the timing components only. I thought the pump being swap was not in question.
I'm not that familiar with those parts but if they are part of the timing chain assembly then getting at that will expose the water pump unit and given the mileage, best to replace it then. The link below shows the water pump when the timing chain is being replaced.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out under the rubber gasket.

LOL. Really, there is no corrosion on my hood. Just a bit of dirt under the seals.
I wouldn't lie to you :) And no, I am not going to put a borescope into the hood...

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

LOL. Really, there is no corrosion on my hood. Just a bit of dirt under the seals.
I wouldn't lie to you :) And no, I am not going to put a borescope into the hood...

View attachment 322150

View attachment 322151

View attachment 322152

View attachment 322153

View attachment 322154

View attachment 322155
Had a bunch of Chicago made P2 based Ford between my parents and I (7 since 2005). Every one of them had corrosion on the hood. I used to use Klasse and now CarPro UK 3.0. Cleaned up the door earlier this year with wire wheel (bare metal which had PoR15 applied).
20200609_173939.jpg
20190428_202335.jpg

You are lucky!!!

View attachment 322150

View attachment 322151

View attachment 322152

View attachment 322153

View attachment 322154

View attachment 322155

Last night my Explorer broke down. It started driving really rough, then the LOW Engine Oil Pressure alert came on and killed the engine. I got it towed home and took a quick look at it this morning. It's leaking oil from what appears to be the front passenger side area. The dipstick also revealed that coolant has mixed with the oil. Anyone have a guess as to the problem? Head gasket? We planned on selling it soon but now I need figure out if it's worth fixing first, or just bail now...

Last night my Explorer broke down. It started driving really rough, then the LOW Engine Oil Pressure alert came on and killed the engine. I got it towed home and took a quick look at it this morning. It's leaking oil from what appears to be the front passenger side area. The dipstick also revealed that coolant has mixed with the oil. Anyone have a guess as to the problem? Head gasket? We planned on selling it soon but now I need figure out if it's worth fixing first, or just bail now...

It sure sounds like the water pump failed. Take a look at this thread:

Definitely sounds like the water pump failed. Looks like a new water pump and perhaps an engine. Depending on the mileage and overall condition of the vehicle, it may not be worth repairing.

Peter

Yup I think you guys are right! Aesthetically, it's in very good condition, but it has 150k miles. Is the going rate for a new 3.5L engine from the dealer around $7k everywhere?

Edit: I just heard back from my dealer and their price for a new engine is $9,357!

^^^^^Owwww.

Yup I think you guys are right! Aesthetically, it's in very good condition, but it has 150k miles. Is the going rate for a new 3.5L engine from the dealer around $7k everywhere?

Edit: I just heard back from my dealer and their price for a new engine is $9,357!

That's a lot for a new engine. With that said what would your Explorer be worth with a new engine? Probably close to the same amount that it was worth when it was running with the original engine. Clearly, you are at a crossroads, and its also worth mentioning that some of the repairs that will surface on a vehicle with 150,000 miles will not be run of the mill. It's very unfortunate that you or any other owner would have to face this type of decision due to a ~$40 part failing.

Sometimes you can save them with a good flush and new pump. I recently just did a customers edge with the same issue and he wanted to try to fix the current motor before thinking about another used or new one ($1500 vs $3-6k). We flushed 3 gallons of kerosene through the oil pressure sensor port at 30 psi and let it all drain out before tearing it down. Cleaned everything up, installed a new water pump and filled the motor through the pressure port at 30psi with oil. I let the first little bit drain out then put the plug in. Fired it up and let it run for a bit. Changed the oil again and it was good to go. Motor was nice and quiet, no abnormal noises. There was a slight knocking before but the water pump gear was almost bound up, it was hard to turn.

That's a lot for a new engine. With that said what would your Explorer be worth with a new engine? Probably close to the same amount that it was worth when it was running with the original engine. Clearly, you are at a crossroads, and its also worth mentioning that some of the repairs that will surface on a vehicle with 150,000 miles will not be run of the mill. It's very unfortunate that you or any other owner would have to face this type of decision due to a ~$40 part failing.
yeah it definitely seems like a design flaw. KBB private party value is about the same as a new engine. If it ends up needing one, I'll just sell it as-is.

Sometimes you can save them with a good flush and new pump. I recently just did a customers edge with the same issue and he wanted to try to fix the current motor before thinking about another used or new one ($1500 vs $3-6k). We flushed 3 gallons of kerosene through the oil pressure sensor port at 30 psi and let it all drain out before tearing it down. Cleaned everything up, installed a new water pump and filled the motor through the pressure port at 30psi with oil. I let the first little bit drain out then put the plug in. Fired it up and let it run for a bit. Changed the oil again and it was good to go. Motor was nice and quiet, no abnormal noises. There was a slight knocking before but the water pump gear was almost bound up, it was hard to turn.
I know some manufacturers say to at least change the rod bearings if coolant mixed with the oil. Do you know what Ford's M.O. is?

Your thread was merged with this one on the issue. Good luck and please keep us updated. Thanks.

Peter

I know some manufacturers say to at least change the rod bearings if coolant mixed with the oil. Do you know what Ford's M.O. is?

I wouldn't bother unless you hear a knocking noise after the job is complete. You could always do an oil analysis to check for metal contamination after some miles.

In your case it needs to be inspected to make sure the timing chain didn't fail, then you would have valve damage and its basically time for another engine.

Yup, it was the water pump! These internal water pumps are ticking time bombs. The gear tilted so much it hit the engine cover and broke off a bunch of metal, which is now all in the pan, etc.

Attachments

• engine 1.jpeg
    engine 1.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 145
  • engine 2.jpeg
    engine 2.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 148
  • engine 3.jpeg
    engine 3.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 142

Is there any sign of coolant mixed in with the oil on the dipstick?

Peter

Is there any sign of coolant mixed in with the oil on the dipstick?

Peter

Looking at the full engine picture, looks like the oil pan is full of 'milkshake.'

And the closeup of the gear, to the right of the chain, you can see some of the milkshake in the 3 little cavities.

Yup, it was the water pump! These internal water pumps are ticking time bombs. The gear tilted so much it hit the engine cover and broke off a bunch of metal, which is now all in the pan, etc.

From the background on the first photo, it looks maybe like you are working with an independent mechanic, if so, did your cost of a new or used engine get reduced? TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2014 ford explorer, i had a noise night, found out my coolant leaked into my oil. I was told my head gaskets have to be replaced. Hes charging 6200 to fix. It only has 130000 miles on it. Ive done everything Im supposed to. Had oil changed every 3000 miles, ive taken good care of it. But never got any warnings something was wrong. Is the 6200 high? Or am I better off getting a new engine?

20210331_151913.jpg

Back