Water pump failure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure

75rjames

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer
XLT
Got coolant leaking, underneath on passengers side. Sounds like the water pump is going out from what I've read on here. I hate this explorer now, and I've only had for 2 1/2 weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Is the leak under the engine or the right front? The windshield water reservoir is located at the front right corner just behind the bumper. Did you get any kind of warranty with the vehicle?

Peter

I wish it was washer fluid, but the liquid is orange like the coolant and the washer fluid is blue. Nope no warranty.

At least you are at the point where the engine is not wiped out. Just replacing the WP is about 1/4-1/3 the cost of an engine replacement.

Been there..... not wishing that on anyone.

Im not thrilled to see a few 2013s with failed water pumps. I was hoping the updated pump/gear/timing chain was going to help mitigate the failures. I guess we will see if this trend continues.

Call Ford customer service - be polite and courteous - and ask if they will help you out, knowing that this is a problem and the subject of a class-action lawsuit.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your unfortunate luck - wp replacement seems to be anywhere from ~$1,500 to $3k. Better to get it taken care of sooner, rather than later - if it let's go while driving and coolant gets into the engine, you can be looking at an engine repair/replacement at $7-8K or more.

I wish it was washer fluid, but the liquid is orange like the coolant and the washer fluid is blue. Nope no warranty.

IMO, it is too coincidental to be going out right after you bought it. I am willing to bet the previous owner knew about it and traded it in instead of paying for the repair.

IMO, it is too coincidental to be going out right after you bought it. I am willing to bet the previous owner knew about it and traded it in instead of paying for the repair.
Probably - one only needs to google MB balance shaft issues - Porsche IMS bearing issues - Toyota sludge issues - and so on and so forth. Lots of people try to get rid of vehicles on the verge of meltdown. Sometimes they are successful. Other times they are not.

This is just another thing to add to the list for folks looking to buy a used vehicle. Smart folks will peruse message boards for vehicle specific info before buying used and/or choose to buy one with paperwork showing issues have been addressed/resolved or transferable extended warranty. Caveat emptor...

Noticed coolant was down. Filled it up with about 8 cups of distilled water/coolant to get it between the cool lines. First time out driving after, could smell coolant. Nothing dripping, nothing in the oil that I could smell and the oil wasn’t milky. Has 41k miles on it so brought it in. They pressure tested it and it held pressure but apparently they spotted some coolant coming out of the weep hole. Had the water pump replaced under warranty and the latest recall completed as well.

My question is this. As part of the water pump replacement they changed the oil and filter per the work order. Is that something I should be concerned about? Are they trying to hide a potential future issue or is that standard M.O.? On a side note, when I got it home and checked underneath, found some coolant drippage and they in fact did not change my oil filter as the Wix filter I normally use was still on there.

So, not real pleased with the dealer service tech and wondering if I should swap the oil filter or not sweat it. The oil had about 2k miles on it when I brought it in.

Noticed coolant was down. Filled it up with about 8 cups of distilled water/coolant to get it between the cool lines. First time out driving after, could smell coolant. Nothing dripping, nothing in the oil that I could smell and the oil wasn’t milky. Has 41k miles on it so brought it in. They pressure tested it and it held pressure but apparently they spotted some coolant coming out of the weep hole. Had the water pump replaced under warranty and the latest recall completed as well.

My question is this. As part of the water pump replacement they changed the oil and filter per the work order. Is that something I should be concerned about? Are they trying to hide a potential future issue or is that standard M.O.? On a side note, when I got it home and checked underneath, found some coolant drippage and they in fact did not change my oil filter as the Wix filter I normally use was still on there.

So, not real pleased with the dealer service tech and wondering if I should swap the oil filter or not sweat it. The oil had about 2k miles on it when I brought it in.
Is the oil dirty? Cheap insurance to get an oil change.

Sounds like they were pulling your leg...yea honestly I don't trust dealership I would take it back and show that filer to them and watch them come up with excuses... I would also ask for my money back on the whole oil change and a nice new FREE filter for your troubles.

If the oil change was part of the warranty repair, I would ass-u-me that it was no charge to you.

If thats the case, up to you if you want to bring it back to have them change the filter. Of course, that's assuming they even drained/filled the oil.

Did they reset the oil life monitor?

Any update to this issue?

Changing the oil and filter is a good thing IF in fact it was done. The coolant may have contaminated the oil which could lead to engine failure.
I have merged your thread with this one.
Have you read this thread? Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter

The oil is clean and filled to full. So far no more coolant loss so hopefully that’s done. I used M1 full synthetic and they filled with MC semi synthetic. Probably not enough oil in the filter to ruin 6 quarts but I don’t like mixing oils if I can avoid it. And yes, this was a no charge oil change as part of the water pump replacement. Just ticks me off that something as simple as changing the oil filter wasn’t done.

The oil is clean and filled to full. So far no more coolant loss so hopefully that’s done. I used M1 full synthetic and they filled with MC semi synthetic. Probably not enough oil in the filter to ruin 6 quarts but I don’t like mixing oils if I can avoid it. And yes, this was a no charge oil change as part of the water pump replacement. Just ticks me off that something as simple as changing the oil filter wasn’t done.
I'd go complain. Seriously those filters are probably 2 bucks cost. I'm sure you are OK but principle of it.

You sure they even replaced the oil?
2k miles on the oil when you brought it in might not be enough to obviously discolor it, so it may still look clean.

Just talking out loud.

You sure they even replaced the oil?
2k miles on the oil when you brought it in might not be enough to obviously discolor it, so it may still look clean.

Just talking out loud.

Believe me, I've thought of that as well. I did check it a few times before I brought it in though just to make sure I didn't see any "milk" on the dipstick and it was definitely dirtier than it is now. That is one thing about this motor that amazes me though, how easy it is on oil. Even at 5K intervals with M1, the oil is dirty but nowhere near what I've seen on my GMC 5.3L motors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dealer did right by me today. Had me come in and do a completely fresh oil and filter change. Hopefully no more issues moving forward.

Back