weird fog light high beam problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

weird fog light high beam problem

so i have off road lights tied into my high beams (using a relay) and whenever i turn on my high beam or fog lights on the other ones turn on. i high beam and the fog lights are on the same - wire. what do you think could me making this happen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some wire must be in the wrong place..

Should be like this
relay-diagram.gif

the+ from the high beam wire would go straight to the switch first.

hmm maybe defective relay?

whats weird is it worked fine for a while but now its acting weird

How's this working out ?
If not what is the Manufacturer of the lights ?
How the grounding of the lights both the headlights and the fogs ?
How did you wire them up, what pin on the relay go to what ?

If you have it fixed forget I asked.

the off road lights are grounded with the stock fog lights.
i have a 5 pin relay
don't remember the brand of lights, i don't think it has to do wire the lights, more the wiring or something.

here is how its wired up
339k3tj.jpg

Off-Road Lights tied into my high beams (using a relay) whenever i turn on my high beam or fog lights, the other ones turn on. i high beam and the fog lights are on the same - wire. what do you think could me making this happen?

"the other ones turn on"

What does this mean ?
Maybe the low beams turn on too ?

Your schematics appear to be OK, good wire sizing, so the only thing that can cause a problem goes back to the grounding of the lighting.
It appears from the schematic that all you have done is add the fog light circuit. there is no reason that anything change unless your disrupted something.

Just for grins... :D, disconnect the fogs light ground wires from the body of the vehicle.
Turn on the lights and see if the problem disappears.
If the problem disappears, try a temporary wire from the fog light ground wire to a ground point close to the battery or even the negative battery post.

If the problem reoccurs then put all the wiring back to normal but if the problem goes away make the temporary wire permanent.

meaning if i turn my high beams on the fogs will come on and vise-versa

Do you want the fogs to only come on with the high beams? I wanted my aux lights to turn on with both the highs and lows. Therefor, I ran it off one of the parking lights, using a relay.

lol sorry for got to clarify they turn on when the switch/button is off

The high beam switch or regular turn on switch? If it is the high beam switch, check and make sure you have the turn on lead off the high beams and NOT the regular low beams. Whats the
5th pin of your relay wired to?

So let's see if I have this correct.

You added fog lights using a relay that is activated by the high beam light wire ?
So when your high beams are on the fogs can be turned on but if the high beams are off the fogs can't be turn on ?

Is this how you have them set up ?

the fog lights are tied into the parking lights, the off-road lights have a relay tied into the high beam. The 5th pin is not connected to anything, the "86" part of the relay is tied into the 9007 connector to the high beam wire

the fog lights are tied into the parking lights, the off-road lights have a relay tied into the high beam. The 5th pin is not connected to anything, the "86" part of the relay is tied into the 9007 connector to the high beam wire

Why don't you try a 4 pin. Much easier to explain. That 5th pin not being connected could cause the problem. You get a 40amp, 4 pin relay at AutoZone for $4.99. Then just follow the diagram above. I used that diagram and it worked perfectly for my lights.

DSCF1295.jpg

$4.99 relay.

DSCF1302.jpg

ya we don't have a autozone up here in alaska, but i'll look around. the 5th pin "kinda" tell it when to turn off, but it worked fine for like 2 months

Your relay probably has two 87 pins. Its OK to just not use the center pin.
I suspect it is your connection in the headlight 9007 connector.
Did you splice into the wire or just push the wire into the headlight connector?

ya i think they call it a 87A, the wire is spliced into to the high beam wire

If it was me... I would disconnect pin 87A altogether.
When the power is removed from the relay and pin 87 does not get power anymore, turning off the lights, pin 87A picks up the power and sends it to the high beams.

Just a thought, disconnect pin 87A and see what happens.

ltr,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put the high beams on their own ground wire and the fogs on their own ground wire. I think the ground is the switched wire for the fogs. Not sure but unless you have a positive wire bare and suppling power to the fogs it has to be the grounds. Maby, I guess, Cant hurt to try....

Back