Weird noise when I accelerate? Metallic sound? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird noise when I accelerate? Metallic sound?

kdoggy

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4x4
I can't describe it but when I accelerate I hear this metallic sound. The more I get on it, the more I hear it but but if I ease into the gas, it won't do it.

If I accelerate fast I get the noise and it goes away as the RPM's drop off.

It's either something metal loose and rattling or hell it almost sounds like a vibrating pile of chains or a grinding bearing, I can't really explain it. It's not THAT loud, I wouldn't even hear it is the radio was turned up.

I guess what I want to know is what things should I be checking or have checked just in case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depending on where the sound is coming from, it could be "pinging" or the infamous "time chain" issue.

What do I check exactly?

At what RPM do you hear the sound or is it strictly when you get on the throttle and rev it up quickly? It could be a pulley or it could be the timing chain. My suggestion is to take off the serpentine belt and then rev the engine up. If there is still noise then you know its not a pulley. If you still hear noise then it most likely will be the timing chain

i had similar sound on mine, im sure it could be anything that was stated above but....On mine i had a similar situation and i found out there was a little crack in the metal housing around the tranny/exhaust. when accelerating the metal pieces would rub together...i bent one of the pieces back and no more sound :) i hope yours is an easy free fix like mine.

2000~2500 to maybe 3000rpm? If I ease into the gas, I don't get the noise.

Will check the belt thing first.

4.0L would be timing chain issues, 4.6L would torque converter noise.

i believe i have the same exact problem to me it sounds like its loudest in the left cylinder head. i was reading my chilton and it said that i could be the valve lash or as autozone calls them valve guides??? they also said i would have to get them from a machine shop and thats why i dont go there. any ways im in the middle of doing the head gaskets on my wifes 02 explorer 2wd and im going to change them out if i can find the new ones and i will let you all know if that fixed my problem. i do know when i was disassembling every thing the timing chain seemed to me to be nice and tight but we will see

FedyFedz is right, the same thing happened on mine X. The heat shield for the tranny / exhaust had torn/split from vibration. I simply bent one half in one direction and the other in the other direction and noise gone. Look closely as the crack was very hard to see. I didn't find it until I used a small pipe to bang the various metal components and listened for the different tone.

Good luck!

Back