Weird Starting Issues- Can anyone help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird Starting Issues- Can anyone help?

teamadidas01

Reaction score
City, State
san diego, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer xls
The car starts normally after it sits for an hour or two.
After I turn it off, it will not start back up but will crank normally.

I've also tried turning it off right after the first initial start up to see what would happen. But the car only cranks.

Some info about what I've diagnosed:
* I hear the fuel pump when turned to the on position
* I tested for spark and it lights when it cranks (tried changing spark plugs also)
* tested the AIC and it was fine
*cranks strong with a good battery
*fuel pump relay and starter felt like it switched when needed
*check my codes and nothing
***theft light always flash when locked or unlocked???(don't remember if its supposed to)

What's weird is that when i thought it was the fuel shutoff switch, I tried popping up the switch. When I did that I was able to start-up the car but it was difficult and it idled rough. After that, the fuel ran out and died. I was still able to switch it back on and off to start it up.

Is something telling me that my all my fuel injectors are shutting down?

Thanks for your input I really need this help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fuel pressure?

Check your fuel pressure at the test port. Until you do that you're just guessing. Change the fuel filter if it hasn't been done in the last 30,000 miles. I believe the main cause of fuel pump failure is a clogged fuel filter.

im having a similar problem. i recently changed my my upper and lower intake gaskets and no problems until about three days later. when i would start the truck it idles rough usually between 500-600 then jumps up to about 1200 then goes back down. it normally stops after i get it up to a 1000 for a good two minutes. the only code im getting is saying that i either have 1) a vacuum leak 2) my MAF is ****. 3) Leaking fuel regulator or fuel injector. i've fixed both of the first two problems so this might be related to your issue too. does anyone know what the ideal psi should be for the fuel?

So why would it start normally when it sits for an hour or two.
Revs fine and runs okay?

im having a similar problem. i recently changed my my upper and lower intake gaskets and no problems until about three days later. when i would start the truck it idles rough usually between 500-600 then jumps up to about 1200 then goes back down. it normally stops after i get it up to a 1000 for a good two minutes. the only code im getting is saying that i either have 1) a vacuum leak 2) my MAF is ****. 3) Leaking fuel regulator or fuel injector. i've fixed both of the first two problems so this might be related to your issue too. does anyone know what the ideal psi should be for the fuel?

Sounds like one of the gaskets has come unseated.

For the OP, it could be a crank position sensor. Does the Check Engine light go off when cranking?

im pretty sure the gaskets are fine, if the vacuum leak was the problem it'd be running like it was before. not all ####ed up rough idle

Back