• Register Today It's free!

Weird things happened today

'96explorereddiebauer

Explorer Addict
City, State
Clemmons, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Honda Accord EX-L
I have a couple of weird things happened today. My CEL came on last night when I was driving so I was like ok...I'll bring it over to AutoZone tomorrow.

Well, when I tried to start the car this morning, a couple of cranks later, it seemed to start but wanted to stall, then it finally caught on and ran. CEL was still on.

Ok...while driving on the highway, the CEL light turned off all of a sudden. I guess everything is back to normal. I didn't even bother going to AutoZone because I really didn't have the time.

Fast forward to tonight. When I started the car, same thing happened. A couple of cranks, it seemed to start but kinda wanted to stall but it caught on immediately. I seriously don't know what is wrong with my truck.

Could the problem caused by the K&N filter?? I cleaned and re-oiled the filter. I cleaned, let dry the rest of the day then re-oil that night and let that sit overnight and I put it back on this morning. Do you guys think I oiled it too much or do I simply have to reset my computer??

EDIT: Forgot to ask this question, since the CEL turned off all by itself, will the code still be memorized??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The computer should still have the codes in it.

Yeah get the codes read first.

But it's unlikely that the K&N is causing the problem unless you managed to create a vacuum leak when installing it. I don't think it would be the MAF because the computer doesn't use the readings from it right at start-up.

yes codes are stored.

pull the codes! =)

Hmmm...I guess I'll just forget about it. :p

haha...just kidding. I'll get the code tomorrow. But can anyone figure out what the problem is with the engine "stalling" at startup??

It could be any number of things. It is prob. sensor related. The best bet is to find what codes the computer is throwing and start there.

you could look into the IAC...cuz when mine started up, it wanted to stall really quickly, like it was lacking fuel...but the intake air controller was messing up...it looks like some others are having this problem this week...look into it...

Alrighty...I got the codes checked. It showed P0401, Isufficient flow to EGR. Does that cause my stalls??

Also, when I started up today, it was stalling. It was a lot worse than yesterday. It was idling at 400 - 500 rpm. The only way to keep the engine running is to hit the gas pedal. I kept my foot on the gas and another on the brakes while backing out of the garage. Once I pulled my truck out, I turned it off and opened up the hood and see if it was really my K&N filter. It was fine. So I started it again to see if it does it, well, I started it then it was about to stall so I revved it up to 2000rpm and it was back to normal, revving at around 1500rpm (cold engine idle). HELP!!!

Hmmm, DPFE perhaps. Try a search for it, see what you get.

With the stalling and P0401 code, I say it is your DPFE.

Thanks for the tips!! :)

Alright...I'm gonna try to tackle the job tomorrow. How much does it cost?

Question: I've been searching around and found that the DPFE thingy is located below the IAC valve. Is it that little silver box sitting directly below the IAC valve?? That silver box has a tube going into it at the bottom and a plug at the right side of the box.

Woohoo!! I changed the DPFE. It took me literally 5 minutes to change it. I had my dad beside me to double check my actions.

The new part is black plastic instead of the silver metal box. I got it from the dealer because I need to get it done ASAP since I'll be moving out of the house for school this Saturday. Heh...here's the funny thing. I asked the parts lady if they had the part, she didn't even punch in the computer and she went back there and got the sensor. She told me that it's a common problem with Explorers. But once she started punching in the numbers, it costs $76. I was ok with it so I paid for the part and left.

Now I need to see if it'll stall tomorrow. I hope it won't though.

Thank you sooooooo much for the advise guys!!!!!!

Guys...one of my problems is back. Although the DPFE replacement got rid of the CEL, the stalling problem is still present.

The problem was described on top. I started my truck today and it did the same thing. I started the engine, the Tach was showing around 400rpm then engine went dead. So I restarted the truck and it was stalling and all of a sudden, the engine was idling like it was normal, which was around 1500rpm.

This problem only happens when the engine is cold, such as overnight or in this case, 4 days without starting it. It starts normal when the engine is warmed up. Could it be the IAC??

So, it's not throwing a CEL when it stalls now? Stalling is at idle only?

If your not getting a CEL, sounds like the IAC could be bad. Just seems strange the IAC and DPFE would crap out at the same time.

You disconnected the battery after the new sensor install correct? The computer needs to relearn the values with the new sensor in place.

Oh crap! I totally forgot about resetting the computer. I'll be going home for the weekend so I'll reset the computer tomorrow night.

The CEL started a few months ago. I was driving and the light just came on so I went to AutoZone and hooked it up to a scanner. It said P0401. He erased the code and told me to try getting some fuel injector cleaner so I got it. It worked for about 3000 miles and 3 months later. The CEL magically appeared again. Along with the CEL, the truck started stalling at cold start ups. So that's why I started a new thread on this and decided to replace the DPFE. The CEL is gone now but the stalling is still here.

Thank you very much for the response, Brad. Like I said, I'll be going home tomorrow evening and I'll let the battery disconnected overnight and see what happens.

Oh yeah...I'll be getting my spark plugs and wires replaced so hopefully, I'll get some of my gas mileage back since I've been getting around 12mpg in the city and around 16mpg on the highway even though I don't have a lead foot nor driving 75, 80mph.

The new plugs and wires will help big time on the MPG's. I was getting really sucky mileage, down to about 13 city. I changed my plug and wires, used Motorcraft double platinum plugs and motorcraft wires, and now I'm up to about 16-18 city and 20+ on the highway.

Welp...the plugs and wires were replaced last weekend and I'm happy to report that I got about 20mpg on the highway according to the "Gallons used" mode on the computer and the odometer. Also, the power delivery is a whole lot smoother and the power came back! I'm very happy!!!

About the stalling. I did a combination of computer reset and cleaned the IAC. I'm guessing the problem is just the fact because I didn't reset the computer after cleaning the air filter and replaced the plugs. I said that is because when I took the IAC out, it look s pretty clean. I even cleaned it out with electronic parts cleaner. The liquid was dirty for like a sec and the rest was clear.

Thanks everyone for helping out!! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back