Well, after a transmission rebuild and | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well, after a transmission rebuild and

GTO2050

Reaction score
City, State
Pequannock, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer
5 return trips to the shop, my tranny is finally operating like it should. A buddy of mine removed the tranny for me and we sent it to a tranny rebuild shop. My buddy was trying to save me labor. If anyone remembers the OD light was flashing, the gas mileage sucked, and the tranny was not functioning correctly. It was turning 2900RPM at 70MPH. First return - car would not move off lift. Second return - tranny leaking like a sieve, third return - OD light flashing again.

Long story short - OD Drum was bad. Last discovery was the torque converter was put in wrong. (It only has 4 bolts :confused: ) Now it is running perfectly. Gas milegae back up to 17, RPM at 70MPH is now 2500 and no OD light flashing.

While he had it, I had the spark plugs replaced, wires replaced, fuel filter replaced. Much better.

96 Eddie Bauer with 108,000 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a nightmare for your buddy doing the RE&RE. I'm
glad you finally got it working. I just took mine in and had it rebuilt as well, running like a charm. Went Castrol syntec for the fluid..

SD

Originally posted by GTO2050
5 return trips to the shop, my tranny is finally operating like it should. A buddy of mine removed the tranny for me and we sent it to a tranny rebuild shop. My buddy was trying to save me labor. If anyone remembers the OD light was flashing, the gas mileage sucked, and the tranny was not functioning correctly. It was turning 2900RPM at 70MPH. First return - car would not move off lift. Second return - tranny leaking like a sieve, third return - OD light flashing again.

Long story short - OD Drum was bad. Last discovery was the torque converter was put in wrong. (It only has 4 bolts :confused: ) Now it is running perfectly. Gas milegae back up to 17, RPM at 70MPH is now 2500 and no OD light flashing.

While he had it, I had the spark plugs replaced, wires replaced, fuel filter replaced. Much better.

96 Eddie Bauer with 108,000 miles

Good to hear you got things worked out. I dread the day that mine goes. '95 with 78k, fingers crossed!!

What rear end gear ration do you have?

Originally posted by 00XLS
What rear end gear ration do you have?
Not real sure. I just know it was turning up around 3000-3300 at 70-75. It drives like a different truck. If it wasn't a winter vehicle I woulda burned it by now! :eek:

Closest I get to 3K is at about 80mph and then i'm only turning about 28-2900 so I guess I'm ok.

Back