Well I think I have decided on my Explorer!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well I think I have decided on my Explorer!!

Mine is 70 1/4 inches to the top of the rails. I would say the antenna is likely about another 6 or 7 inches above that. It is a bit tricky to get exact measurement as the area where the antenna is also slopes downward slightly and is rearward of the end of the rails.

Peter

Thanks Peter for checking. Think I am going to need the shark fin ASAP then. I think my door opening is only 74", going to have to measure when I get home.

I just went out and got some measurements on my 2013 Explorer Limited w/ cross bars.

Approximate numbers are:

a.) Tip of antenna = about 78"

b.) Top of cross bars = about 72"

Good luck.

A question for the NAV experts here, when I test drove the Limited today, I tried to press the NAV upper right corner of the screen to get a map, and all that would display was a little compass. Does this mean that the map data was not loaded? Is that on the SD card? That is what I assumed at the time, but got to wondering about it later.

Hi, Kirby Baker!

When are you thinking about purchasing your Explorer? BTW, Great choice! :)

To answer your NAV question, you'll want to make sure your Explorer has factory-installed NAV, not just turn-by-turn directions. NAV will come with an SD card, but most dealerships don't put them in until the vehicle has been purchased.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about MyFord Touch, SYNC, or NAV!

Rebecca

Hi, Kirby Baker!

When are you thinking about purchasing your Explorer? BTW, Great choice! :)

To answer your NAV question, you'll want to make sure your Explorer has factory-installed NAV, not just turn-by-turn directions. NAV will come with an SD card, but most dealerships don't put them in until the vehicle has been purchased.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about MyFord Touch, SYNC, or NAV!

Rebecca

I've had to put the ordering of my new Explorer on hold for the time being. Hopefully I can get it ordered in the next few months, but then at that time I am sure I will be wondering when the '14 is going to drop and if there will be any changes in store.

Back