Winch Bumper | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winch Bumper

Once im done with school, there will be an SAS on my explorer. All shall bow, Mark my words!!!

JK, but the SAS is serious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious, how thick of steel was used? How much is it tipping the scales at?

What? Lol

An to the following comment, this bumper is a full box plate bumper not just a winch plate. Its entirely coustom made and not based upon a template. It took 5 days to fabricate and mount. Plus its for a third gen not a 1st gen. The third gen front clip is much more complex

looks great and I wouldnt mine one for my mountaineer! I dont know how much i would pay but did you build that by yourself? and the only thing I dont like about it is the fact that theres no place for the fog lights.

looks great and I wouldnt mine one for my mountaineer! I dont know how much i would pay but did you build that by yourself? and the only thing I dont like about it is the fact that theres no place for the fog lights.

He sold it a while back, maybe his truck too, not sure. Anyway, he had a fab shop build it.

That bumper and a winch look way too heavy for the front of a vehicle with limited options on beefing the suspension.

That bumper and a winch look way too heavy for the front of a vehicle with limited options on beefing the suspension.

Do you still have the prerunner bumper yours? If you do what is the measurements and how did you mount it?

yeah I still have it. I made it from 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 tube, 5/16 plate for the mounts and don't remember exact gauge for the skid plate. A day I'm off I'll get some measurements, I don't have the papers anymore. I mounted it to the existing bumper mounts under the cover and added other mounts about 12 inches back on the sides of the frame to tie it in. It isn't really that heavy and I considered a winch when building it but I don't think those springs are up to it.

yeah I still have it. I made it from 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 tube, 5/16 plate for the mounts and don't remember exact gauge for the skid plate. A day I'm off I'll get some measurements, I don't have the papers anymore. I mounted it to the existing bumper mounts under the cover and added other mounts about 12 inches back on the sides of the frame to tie it in. It isn't really that heavy and I considered a winch when building it but I don't think those springs are up to it.

Thanks, I would like to make one but just need to know the measurements.

Unless you have a jig to make it on measurements aren't all that important. The number sill get you close but you have to mock most up on the vehicle or have a jig to mock it to. I built a jig to hold the mounts in place for final welding.

Unless you have a jig to make it on measurements aren't all that important. The number sill get you close but you have to mock most up on the vehicle or have a jig to mock it to. I built a jig to hold the mounts in place for final welding.

Mainly all I need is the width, I have a couple guys selling them here and I need to know what width to get.

I would do a $1000 seeing I paid $1,100 for a ARB bull bar for my land Rover disco. I diff will buy one for $1000

id like to buy one of these bumpers if you have one for sale whats it cost to build?

I have a few shops here locally that would build the bumper for me but they're asking me to provide a template. Any way I could get the measurements of this one?

So i assume most of you third gen guys have seen my bumper :p:

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_1001-1.jpg

IMG_1002-1.jpg

Now it is not for sale! but... i wanna hear how much you would pay for the bumper (with winch) ?

My Fab guy was debating making more. [ POSSIBLY ]
I paid 1070 for the bumper and 330 for the winch

What would you guys pay????

-nick
We're did you get the bumper I would like one

I would pay roughly $1400, primarily because I would want a front skid plate and holes for fog lights. Otherwise $1200 is a damn good deal. How much of a difference would mounting strength be sacrificed due to a body lift?

It looks amazing and it is worth whatever you thought it was worth ! Now I have to have one

I've seen templates made from cardboard but one of the best most recent templates I saw was made from 1/2" plywood and 1/4" paneling. The guy had it bolted to his truck and drove it to the welder that way.

Back