Well, that didn't sound good! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well, that didn't sound good!

Wow. What a way to ruin a family day. So judging from what you've stated about the cars that you have owned. You must have a really good relationship with you local Ford Dealership? I imagine that after been a repeat customer, and one who spends a good amount of money there, they would try a little harder then usual to resolve your issue and maybe make it up for the inconvenience?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transmission went out in my 1995 Explorer under warranty. I ended up putting 160,000 miles on that car with zero other problems.

The rear differential went out in my 2003 Explorer under warranty. I ended up putting 250,000 on that one with no other drive train issues.

Wow. What a way to ruin a family day. So judging from what you've stated about the cars that you have owned. You must have a really good relationship with you local Ford Dealership? I imagine that after been a repeat customer, and one who spends a good amount of money there, they would try a little harder then usual to resolve your issue and maybe make it up for the inconvenience?

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully the dealer takes good care of you. Best of luck and keep us posted...

Well, truth be told, I called my dealer, told them what was going on, and they had a tow truck to me in 45 minutes. They fixed it. They did take care of me, and I'm going to make sure it's known.

I really don't have a dealer that I'm happy with on the sales side, but one I use for all my service.

I know WAY more people at Ford than I do locally. I just spent a week with Mark Fields, CEO of FMC, Jim Owens, VP and Director of Marketing, and Mark Schaller, Director of Mustang development. I know Jim Owens better than anyone else, but I have a long list of Ford management contacts, and although I probably won't contact them about this directly, it may come up in conversation at some point.

No, who will get a call from me is Mike Berardi, VP and Director of Ford Service and Warranty Program. Mike is a great guy, and I see him every trip to Dearborn I make. He's a car guy and has an amazing collection of mustangs although his passion is the BOSS and Mach 1 original builds. I feel like he should know what happened. I'm obviously not going to be swayed from Ford, but I feel like something needs to be looked into at the top level here. In the meantime, I can't trust the Ford Roadside Assistance Program to be there if and when I need it, but with towing adding like a dollar a month to my insurance, why not carry that and get decent service? Irony being that I have a car hauler and could have simply loaded up the explorer myself and dropped it off in no time at all.

DubbsFaris glad to know you are on this forum and a part of everything that is good and bad with the brand. Sounds like you will understand fully what is going on with the Roadside Assistance and will talk with the right people to make things better. I keep towing with my insurance and you are right about it costing little to nothing to have. Insurance that actually makes sense!!! Best of luck and thanks for keeping us all posted...

Good luck, keep us posted and hope it's something they can identify and not keep chasing/failing/unable to duplicate.

Good luck, keep us posted and hope it's something they can identify and not keep chasing/failing/unable to duplicate.
I'm thinking a new transmission.

Peter

So, got the call today that the damage is extensive. They think the converter went out, which in turn damaged clutch plate, some seals and other drivetrain parts. I will give a detailed rundown on all the parts and a better explanation when I have a chance to talk to the tech, and not just the service rep. Not that he was in any way ignorant of what he was talking about, but I am able to understand a little more than the average customer, and techs don't normally get into the details of damage with the Service people.

Not that he was in any way ignorant of what he was talking about, but I am able to understand a little more than the average customer, and techs don't normally get into the details of damage with the Service people.

Agreed. Dealer service departments don't hire Service Advisers for their vast knowledge of how a vehicle works. Not that there aren't some who are great and / or highly knowledgeable.

Agreed. Dealer service departments don't hire Service Advisers for their vast knowledge of how a vehicle works. Not that there aren't some who are great and / or highly knowledgeable.

During the years of 2011 - 2014, there were some pretty decent competent service advisers that worked at the dealership I bought my car from. They all moved up the ladder since then or to other dealerships and now I deal with people who don't bother with helping me find out the exact problem. I came back there recently and they finally hired some decent service advisers again.

About the bad towing service. I don't think that's an issue with Ford except that they just hire the cheapest towing services they can. The towing service trying to get you towed 100 miles away was probably trying to make a little extra cash off the tow since Ford covers up to 35 miles away, and the rest is probably what you have to pay for. I'd make a complaint about the tow company they dispatched.

I had a pretty bad experience with Liberty Mutual and the towing company they worked with last winter when I slid into a curb and snapped my control arm off. The accident happened at around 12 PM. Tow truck didn't come until 8 PM! Had the hazards on and my battery died after 3 hours. My phone was low on battery and died. Luckily someone living nearby offered me shelter in their home in the snowy 20 degree whether. Charged my phone at the kind person's house. Called the insurance company and they kept saying the tow truck company was on their way. I kept calling all day and I didn't get answers most of the time. The tow company said they initially were coming around 1PM but I didn't pick up the phone when they "called". I was super mad because I've already told them the intersection I was at, and what if my cell phone died which it did? Around 7PM, the Insurance person on the phone gave me the phone number for the towing company so I can call them directly. They then said they haven't sent anyone out because I didn't pick up my phone! I was so ****ING MAD. What's worse is the tow truck guy didn't bother jumping the battery so I could shift the car out of park. He instead pulled my disabled Explorer on the lift with it in park.

Long story short. There are some crappy towing services out there. I'd blame them instead.

Well, and that is what I will do, but in the heat of the moment, I was pretty angry. As I'm sure you were too.

Tow companies don't have great service usually anyway, because they don't really have to. You need them whether you like them or not when you need them. When you don't, they aren't getting a call from you, and their next tow gets dispatched by someone who doesn't give the end user any input and probably doesn't care to boot. It's just one more task cleared out of their que.

I cannot speak for the service received by dealer dispatched tow trucks, but I have had numerous vehicles towed in the past with no issue. All have been courteous and easy with my vehicles. With that said I paid cash or credit in each instance and did not rely on secondary service to do. I hope I never deal with the circumstances you guys have had in the past....

Thanks DubbsFaris for keeping us posted about your vehicle...

Still waiting....

It's been 3 weeks, and still waiting for parts.

Yikes. Nothing warms my heart more than paying a car payment for a month I don't have it. Lol

I'd use your contacts to get Ford to help cover the costs/loss of use.

I don't know. I'm thinking that might be a bit tacky.

I got the call that it will be done tomorrow.

Which is good, because my Raptor has needed brakes for a month, but I need one or the other for work, and I think I've warped the rotors at this point. Maybe they will give me a good deal. Haha

I don't know. I'm thinking that might be a bit tacky.

I got the call that it will be done tomorrow.

Which is good, because my Raptor has needed brakes for a month, but I need one or the other for work, and I think I've warped the rotors at this point. Maybe they will give me a good deal. Haha
There have been instances where Ford picked up a month's payment.

Peter

Well, got the call that they finished. Or so I thought....

After replacing just about everything, it wont disengage the shift lockout. So its stuck in park for the next few weeks as more parts will surely have to be ordered.

Here is the laundry list of parts replaced so far-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 386

Well, got the call that they finished. Or so I thought....

After replacing just about everything, it wont disengage the shift lockout. So its stuck in park for the next few weeks as more parts will surely have to be ordered.

Here is the laundry list of parts replaced so far-
I wonder if they tried the 'emergency' unlock procedure? Of course if that has to be done every time you put it in 'Park', it will be a hassle.

Peter

It seams like the amount of damage was extensive, but hard to tell based on the list you just provided. I would feel like I would want a buy back from Ford on the vehicle. Drive train components failing this early would make me think that there was some sort of part defect when the original assembly took place. Anytime this amount of work needs to be done on a low mileage vehicle something major obviously went wrong. I'm sure I do not need to tell you this as it seams like you have contacts at Ford.

Best of luck and thanks for keeping us posted...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, so new PTU didnt fix it, so they are pulling the transmission again. Its obvious the tech hasnt a clue whats wrong.

sigh.

Ill be calling Ford I guess.

Back