We're back from Baja!

Ken Cooke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Rubicon - Tomb Raider
Me, the Rebel 4x4 crew and Andrew & his wife are back from the trails we ran in the Sierra Juarez (about 130 mi. south of the border). We encountered mud, mud/clay, dusty trails, sand and a few rocks. Pictures will be up soon along with a detailed trip summary...
-Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Baja huh, sounds interesting. Looking for the pictures.

Where did you cross the border and where did you started your trip here in Mexico, I'm located in Mexicali so I wan't to know how far from here did you go?

Day 1 [August 2]:

Me and the guys (Josh S. and Jon) met up at Josh's place in Santa Ana. We drove south on the 5 fwy spying on the hotties and playing w/our CBs until we got to Oceanside, CA. The traffic was too much, so we backtracked to the 15 South and drove to the Map Center (in San Diego) for a Topo of the Sierra Juarez N.P. From there, we headed to Chula Vista for some additional supplies, groceries, magazines, auto insurance, and finally our hotel room. At the hotel, we met a guy who was down on his luck wanting to buy my truck. Sadly, his whole family lived in the Economy Inn (Chula Vista, CA) - a place that cost me $80/night. I wonder what kind of deal they were giving him on the monthly basis? Anyhow, we partied a little before heading to the infamous PAPAS AND BEER in Rosarito Beach, Mexico! We left 2 of our rigs at the hotel (a safe place) before heading off south of the border. Once crossing the border, we got a little turned around in Tijuana, so we decided to cruise through town before taking the "free" road to the beach. We got to the beach in a little over 45 minutes, and the place was practically deserted. Just a couple of people here and there who were walking to the store, to the carnival, hanging out and talking w/friends, etc. We had to find a restroom because the guys needed to go real bad. So, we pulled down this side street and then pulled a quick right taking us past the Rosarito Beach Police Station.:eek:

There was a lady police officer standing at the roadblock as we made another right and parked in front of the PEMEX (gas) station. Suddenly, Josh and Karim bolted from Jon's Explorer - Josh going into the men's room, and Karim slipping into the night... We though everything was good when Jon returned from the restroom. He was ready to go when we asked, "Where is Karim??" Just then, Karim (our ride-along friend) emerged from the alley with the female cop. This police officer walked up to me asking if I spoke Spanish. I replied, "Si" Then, she started yelling at Karim, explaining in this motherly tone how people aren't allowed to pee on the sidewalks and street corners. She then told me that for 4,500 pesos or 15 hours behind bars, Karim would have to pay up. I told her that I was sorry for Karims' decisions, and that we would prefer to go to the police station, requesting his ticket, and that we would pay it back in the 'States. She looked boggled that I knew citizen's rights in Mexico, and then she started talking money. Karim slipped her a $20 bill, and she issued him another motherly lecture before stuffing the money in her pocket and handing Karim over to us.;)

After getting back onto the main road, and parking in front of Papas and Beer at the gated lot, we paid our $5 and entered the bar. Papas and Beer is a nightclub set on the beach of Rosarito. When you first enter, you are presented with this killer volleyball court with two large bars on each side of the court. A dancefloor across from the entrance along with two more dancefloors and bars upstairs makes for a venue that can easily hold 1,000 people comfortably. We got to Papas at around 9:15 p.m. and the place was practically empty. There was a mechanical bull which attracted the attention of the small crowd of 50-something American's and a few Mexican-nationals. After sitting near the bull, watching the American's goof off, the MC took the stage and began encouraging the crowd to come up to his elevated platform, and "Compete for free Papas and Beer 20th Anniversary T-Shirts." Our own Josh S. was one of the contestants who braved the growing crowd of around 200+ people to dance like a Chipendales guy. After losing miserably, he returned down to the volleyball court with the rest of us, and watched the other contestants. By midnight, there was something like 500 Americans packing this place in. I won't go into what the contestants were doing by this point, but you can use your imagination! It got pretty darn interesting! By around 1 a.m. we were getting tired, and we decided to pull Jon's lifted Explorer back onto the main road headed north back to Chula Vista for our first day of adventure in the Baja backcountry!

And then what happened?

Day 2 [August 3]:

Andrew and Gretchen met us at the Day's Inn - Chula Vista. By 10:00 a.m., we were leaving for the Mexican border. Traffic was brisk at each of the toll booths as we drove from Tijuana to Ensenada. We even caught a glimpse of a modified "Pre-Runner" Explorer. It sported King shocks, updated front clip, blue paint w/checkerboard over flared fenders (front and rear). This was definitely a kickin' Explorer, and either Josh or Jon took a great snapshot w/their digital camera. The driver (an American) was in Rosarito w/his family. They parked at the AM/PM at the Rosarito toll booth, and went inside. The Explorer sparkled w/its new paint, and all of us oogled at its high stance, 35's, and custom suspension.

Stopping in Ensenada, we had to make a run for the A.T.M. machine (for Pesos), lunch, and cervezas. Our first stop was at the Mariscos Playas de Sinaloa Restaurant/Bar. Here, we dined on fresh shrimp, fish, and beef. The drinks were cold, and only cost $1 each. After getting filled up on food, we stopped by the Corona Deposito for a case of cold ones. Then, onto the A.T.M. so we could pay for our gasoline in pesos rather than getting gouged at the pump with dollars and a poor exchange rate. After leaving Ensenada (remember the horse ride Josh?), we stopped for gas at the Valle de Trinidad Pemex station. There, we filled our tanks with the worst 80 octane gasoline known. To this date, my engine sputters when at idle. $40.00 for 3/4 tank of gas and I was on my way.

The road to Mike's Sky Ranch was steep in some places, and rocky in other places. Because we didn't reach the turnoff to Mike's until 7 p.m., we knew that we'd have to arrive under our own candlepower. No problem. With 4 150w KC Daylighers positioned over my cab, I would find my way no matter what! Andrew had to unload the Jeep from his trailer, and his wife Gretchen would drive the GMC Sierra 4x4 w/trailer (slowly). As Andrew decided to scout ahead of the pack, I led the group with Gretchen following. She had poor visibility with the stock GMC headlights in this hilly terrain, but with my KCs lighting the trail, she was able to determine where the trail ended and the cliffs/drop offs began.

After several steep climbs, we made our way to the motel-resort. There is a 2 1/2 foot water crossing you have to make before getting into the resort. With our rigs all lit up, finding a camping space near the creek was no problem. The skeeters were biting, and our throats were dry, so, a walking up to the restaurant/bar was in order. By around 11 p.m., everyone got ready for the first night of camping under the bright, starry skies of the Baja mountain country...
-Ken

tim3.jpg

Water crossing - leading into Mike's...

tim3.jpg

no pics:(

Unfortunately, Josh S's digital camera took a dump, and it erased all of his pictures. Then, Jon's camera took a dump and it erased 1/2 of the vacation photos. I lost my camera in July, so I couldn't provide backup 35mm shots, and my buddy Andrew is in England visiting w/family. Sooo, no pics just yet. I'm hoping that Jon's camera can produce some images of our "Worst Stucks" and Andrew's rockcrawling on the Rancho Coyote road...

-Ken

Hey I was reading this but I gotta go call a super hottie that just left a message on my phone:eek:

Anyways, I'll give this thang some flava tomorrow, and continue the epic...OH and it wasn't the digicam that took a dump, it was my brain that did.:(

ken, were you scouting for the hotties too? you have a hot wife! no scouting for ken!!! :nono:

Originally posted by jimabena74
ken, were you scouting for the hotties too? you have a hot wife! no scouting for ken!!! :nono:
Nah, I was talking to Desert Dan on the cellular the whole time...That was Josh and Jon's job!:D
-Ken

Back