Werid Wacky sound when I brake?

Shortfin

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Haven't bought it yet
Hello All,

Well i finally bought my 97 4dr Explorer.

The wacky sound happens right at the last sec before the Truck stops while breaking. It sounds like a deep purr or a little motor turning on then off. I also feel it vibrate in foot for the 2 secs it’s on. I thought it might be ABS turning on (even though I’m stopping on perfectly dry pavement_ could it be set to sensitive) but I'm use to feeling ABS in my old Grand Am and it felt like a thumb, thumb, thumb not a deep purr .

When the sound comes on it doesn't seem to affect the brakes it just makes noise and vibrates the pedal.

When I took it for a test drive I notice this sound but the dealer said that would be fixed when he got it certified.

I plan to take it in tomorrow morning but I would like to arm myself with some knowledge on this before hand.

Thanks

Aron

PS: The site rocks I'm glad there are communities like this out here on the net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds to me like the explorer needs new brake pads and possibly new rotors or at least the rotors resurfaced. take it to a service station that replaces and repairs brakes and have them take a look. hopefully the dealer will fix it at no cost to you. if you can make sure the dealer will fix it and if you can record the conversation that way if he denies it you can play the tape back for him to remind him.

another thing that it may be is the radius arm bushing. The deep purring sound just before you brake kinda sounds like the metal to metal contact when the radius arm bushing is worn away. If you take it in to a shop look at the break pads first, that is always a good spot to check. see if there are any big grooves in the rotors, or look at the pads and see if they are even as far as where. while your under there, look for the radius arm and check to see if that busing is shot. Kinda a typical problem on explorers, but your's is still pretty new, but who knows. good luck

you can also look at your rotors without taking off the tire. you can see through the teardrop rim, and if you have deep lines through the rotors, youll need to have them turned. another way of checking the brakes fast is popping the hood and looking at the master cylinder. if you do not have a lot of fluid, that means the calipers are pushed out more than they should, which is a sign of brake wear.
i get the same thing when i am just about to come to a stop, and im changing my brakes this thursday because they are getting worn.

I know the sound you are talking about and it's not metal/rotors; it's something to do with the ABS sensor. My truck is a 93 so I live with the "shudder" noise cause it only happens once in awhile.

Shortfin, sounds like you ABS is outta whack. Probably a problem with one of the speed sensors. This has been discussed before, and within the last month or so. Try searching and see what you find.

Also, don't bother looking at or for Radius Arm Bushings.. You don't have them! They're only thru '94.

Tom,

Thanks, did not know that about the 95 and ups. Sorry for the confusion...that's why i am here...to learn

i'm going to say ABS sensor because i have the same problem. just pull the ABS fuse if it really gets annoying and you want to get rid of the noise till you can get it fixed. and be sure to take it back to the dealer while its still covered and make them pay for the repairs... my estimate was $1055 for 2 rear ABS sensors and a right front hub and my truck was "certified" when i bought it a year and 4k miles ago

Back