What are the best riding shocks when you have big rims and tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are the best riding shocks when you have big rims and tires?

Guys I want to have a nice riding explorer with the cruising street kinda feel and definantly not the off road rough feel. I have a 4" lift right now but riding on 22" rims.... What or who should I look into? I'm mostly concerned with the fronts at this point but all the way around would be nice too!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shocks do affect the ride, but having low profile 40 series sidewalls on huge heavy rims, plus various 4" lift components that probably stiffen the suspension is already affecting things so much, the only thing "nice" riding shocks will do is likely cause control issues.

Regular 'ol Monroe shocks will give you a decent ride, but they will be pushed to the limit trying to control all that unspring weight and they will likely wear out in short order. You could look into some Monroe Sensatracs or Reflex shocks, which are good upgrades. You could also just get some Ranchos, they are also made by Monroe, and come in lifted applications if you didn't want to use longer F-150 shocks up front or relocate the rear mounts.

My suggestion would be for Bilsteins though. They won't ride soft and squishy, but they will keep that suspension with heavy wheels under control and take care of a lot of the body roll from being lifted before the sway bars even come into play. KYB also makes a Monomax Truck shock, though their Gas-A-Just line is actually the monotube design like the Bilsteins.

From the list of mods on your ride, I think anything else other than Bilsteins would be silly...if not crazy.

Thanx for the advice! I was already looking for bilsteins too! So whats the deal with F150 shocks? are they longer, thicker?

Some F-150 shocks have the same lower eyelet/upper post setup as the first gen TTB shocks, so you can buy them in a 'regular' shock but use them for a lifted application. They are also for a heavier vehicle, so they give more damping than stock shocks, which is a good thing for a lifted truck and larger wheels.

Bilstein also makes a lifted front shock for 4" lifts, but it's in their 5100 series:

46mm Monotube Shock Absorber

Part No. (24-185493) MSRP: $145.00
Setting: 5100 Series
Drive Type: RWD
Drive Type: 4WD
Position: Front
Descriptor: Front Lifted Height: 4in
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-6215-H0;F4-BE5-6215-H5

You could probably call Bilstein or do some research and get rear 5100 series shocks as well, they do make them but they don't list the application on their site.

They also have a chrome body and black boot unlike the regular yellow/blue Bilsteins, so if you're after bling, they are just the thing, but they have the top end performance behind it, too.

shocks2.jpg

Thanks, thats what I had my eye on, and of course the chrome looking one's wouldn't have it any other way! By the way does anybody know the deal with mounting shocks on superlift extended radius arms?

Oh yeah are bump stops mandatory? I never did put them back on, as when I was doing the lift install the old one's bolt broke of due to rust and such!

Superlift extended radius arms should have the same mounting as the stockers, unless they've been modified.

You should replace the bump stops. Either spring for new ones at the dealer (or through or site vendors), or grab some from another Ranger/Explorer that's parting out on here or at the local salvage yard. Even a universal rubber/urethane bump stop is better than nothing. You WANT a bump stop on there so you have SOMETHING between the frame and suspension if they EVER make contact. If you bottom out and they hit, there's a good chance it will at least cause some damage, possibly even bad enough to crack the frame. Not worth the risk, replace with factory rubber or some similar urethane ones.

Back