What Brand Plugs and Wires? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Brand Plugs and Wires?

What Plugs do you use??

• Bosch

Votes: 101 38.0%
  • Denso

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Motorcraft

Votes: 130 48.9%
  • NGK

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • Splitfire

Votes: 13 4.9%

• Total voters
Interesting thread with quite a few opinions. One of the biggest factors in low-end performance is the shrouding of the flame kernel by the plug negative electrode (remember indexing spark plugs for racing). So the real question becomes what type of intake port (swirl vs tumble port) is being used and how sensitive is the combustion to flow disruption. In most cases multiple ground straps do not add anything to the performance and may in fact inhibit low speed flame propagation.

Platinum does work better as a conductor but can act as a catalyst when used with alcohol-based fuels resulting in the formation of hydrogen gas. Bottom line for a stock engine is that not much is to be gained by exotic ignition systems and for the vendors that claim improvements, ask to see the engine dyno data to support it. Anything less than a 3% change is probably noise in the testing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bosch Platinum plugs and just installed Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm wires. My X is running better than it ever has now.

regular Autolite's in my Explorer with oem wires (dunno if they have been changed or not)

in my T-bird i have Autolite Double Plats with Motorcraft replacement wires which are suppose to be better then the stock wires

I am running Motorcraft OEM Plugs and some Borg Warner Wires (will be changing them out for either Motorcraft OEM's or Taylor Spiro's).

I put in Bosch 2's about 10K ago and I must say that has to be the biggest waste of money ever. Engine ran like garbage for the last 5k, pulled the plugs and they were all showing Lean Condition. Swapped wires with OEM Motorcraft's and engine runs better than it has the last 10K, got rid of some pinging and clattering/knocking in the engine.

Jacob's wires, Autolite single Platinum plugs, gapped at 0.060.

Plugs are changed every 20K, wires occasionally.

I noticed an improvement as soon as I did those (200K miles ago).

Taylor wires and Autolite single Platinum plugs.

Runs great!

I always used to use Bosch Platinum 1's in my cars, but recently have been having problems with non quality plugs from the Zone (con artists), so now I have switched back to oem Motorcraft platinums and couldnt be happier, think the truck is happier to. Running them with the high end set of Bosch wires.

Cant believ everywhere I check says I have to "special order" wire sets for an 01 Sport cuz of some kind of rarity thing for that year, and they are insanly expensive. So I found it better to just go quality the first time on wires.

USE ONLY MOTORCRAFT WIRES!!!!!!!!! It will save you alot of time in the long run

i use bosch platinum +4s in my rides...always worked fine for me, i see minor changes in milage almost unnoticable tho maybe i should try sumthin different

hey all......i have a 93 ford explorer........about how much should it cost for a mechanic to replace 6 spark plugs and all the wires? i brought it in for a tune up today and was told i need to have the wires replaced........put it off though because they said it would 90 bucks/wire to replace.......seemed like a bit much.....

thanks!

is that just labor? or parts included?! dude it shouldn't take more than a hour of labor TOPS to replace all 6 plugs and wires. you figure $85/hour. total labor $85 + parts. if your gonna pay them 90 bones per plug and wire just on labor I'll drive down and do the work myself for that much! You shouldn't be spending more than $30 on plugs and I bought new wires for less than $50 (bosch). Soooo thats $85+$30+$50=$165. I'd get an estimate elsewhere, or perferably just do the job yourself!

I just tuned up with Bosch platnium 4 plugs and X-Act wires from Advance Auto Parts. It needed it baaaaad. I'm happy with the results.

well......i thought it seemed like a bit much...... thats why i posted here about it......no way i can do the work myself....... i took a look online and saw ignition wire sets for my car for about 25 bucks..........question........ do those sets contain all 6 wires?? or do you need to buy 6 sets of them???

thanks again

All the sets that I have ever seen include all the wires. Not just 1.

yeah.....i was mistaken.......

i called the place back and its 90 dollars to have all the wires replace.....including labor ....

i feel dumb :)

feelthephunk said:
yeah.....i was mistaken.......

i called the place back and its 90 dollars to have all the wires replace.....including labor ....

i feel dumb :)
that sounds more like it...if you reely dont wanna save the money and do it yourself 90 bones aint bad. thats prolly their hourly rate and most shops bill at a minimum of 1 hour of labor.

I recently changed from Motorcraft/Motorcraft to Taylor Spiro/Denso Iridium. Not sure I really needed to but was trying to trace down a problem. It turned out to be a bad valve. Man THAT was expensive! BUt the X runs good now and the red plug wires LOOK cool if nothing else. I had done the intake awhile ago (K&N FIPK, Gen I) and want to do the exhaust before I get a chip burned. I'm trying to squeeze what I can REASONABLY get out of a '96 4.0L OHV.

hey i got a '96 4.0L OHV too where were thinkin about gettin a chip burned? just curious

I'm looking at Apten ( http://www.apten-us.com/ ). I've heard several folks here and other forums that run them and seem to be pretty pleased with what they got. The other way Would be a Hypertech tuner, but the chip is cheaper.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I'm the only one using champion plugs? but do use blue Taylor spiral pro wires.

Back