What brand tires to get? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What brand tires to get?

I put on a set of Nitto Crosstek CUV tires for $166 each.

I've only had them about a month, so I don't know how the tread wear is. They do have a 60K warranty. The ride is every bit a smooth as the Michelin Cross Terrain I had and now I don't get pushed around when it gets real windy.

I just put on Hankooks, replacing Goodyears. I went from a fairly aggressive tread to a street tire (I rarely need 4WD) and the difference is amazing. Nice quiet ride. I should have done it a long time ago. Tirerack had them rated pretty good.

goodyear wrangler sra. 235 75 15
quiet, and good traction. not to mention they wear like steel. :thumbsup:

Ditto! I have a set on my '94, and they are probably the best (street) tires I've ever had. I was a little nervous when I bought them due to the "mild" tread pattern, but they're everything I was looking for. Excellent traction in snow and ice, both going and stopping. I'm looking to replace my '94 with a 2nd Gen, and these tires are going on whatever we get.

My "new" '99 has LT X Michelins. They seem fine.

On the '98, I had Firestones with no real issues, then a free set of new Firestones, and then a free set of Goodyears from Ford. The were OK.

I went with 16s and put Dunlop Grantrek 245-75 x 16s on. They were a little better than the others, and just a bit taller. They were off my Tacoma, where they didn't feel very secure. On the Exploder, they felt fine.

So, if you have 16s, find someone with a new Tacoma who wants to upgrade. Tell them you heard the Dunlops were terrible, and offer him some low ball price.

Serving suggestion....ymmv.

Back