• Register Today It's free!

what do i have to do to fit 33's

Snafu996

Reaction score
City, State
Pismo Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 2WD
How much do i have to lift to fit 33x13.5's without rubbing anything? I dont want to cut too much, but a little plastic is no big deal. I also am trying to stay away from the 3" body lift, how about the 3" procomp lift? Or will I need the shackles/TT as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This has been talked to death, well I wish it was to death. But if you do a search you will find more than enough info. I have 33x12.5 w/ 3" BL, shackles and TT to match. They still rubbed and I have to trim. I didnt do much and the still rub occasionally. I can't really off road like I have it now but I am saving for Perry fenders which should take care of the problem. Unless i could get someone to hit my fenders and not ruin anything else and get some insurance $$.

I'd say you'd need about 5" of lift to clear the 33's. So if you get the spindles, you'll probably need to adjust your torsion bars as well.

On the 96 you could do a 3 inch lift spindle and 2 inch TT on the front and the rear you could do the shackles and a 4 inch leaf pack on the rear. Thats what Trckmagik did on his Sport Trac but added the 3 inch body to get 35's. So I think if you go that route then you will be ok and if there was any kinda cutting it would be very minor on the front.

I pretty much agree with everyone else. You need 5" to stay away from much cutting with 33x12.5; and you still may have to trim a bit. Anything less than 5" with those and you'll have to get out the grinder/sawzall or get new fenders.

What about 31x13.5? I'm specifically looking at the MT Baja Belted. Also, does anyone have/had these tires and how have you liked them? I just want something wide because I need all the footprint I can get w/a 2x in the sand.

you'd probably need about 4" to fit those, or 2.5" and fenders (which would look better due to the width)

Back