What do you like best about your explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you like best about your explorer?

2010 Eddie Bauer

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010, Explorer Eddie B.
While we often hear about the problems everyone has with their explorers on these forums, I thought I would start a thread where we can share why we like our explorers and what attributes we appreciate the most. Personally, I appreciate the moderate capability off road having an explorer brings. I have taken mine on mudded out country roads and never had a problem. I love how it drives and the paint is excellent. What are y'alls thoughts about your explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While we often hear about the problems everyone has with their explorers on these forums, I thought I would start a thread where we can share why we like our explorers and what attributes we appreciate the most. Personally, I appreciate the moderate capability off road having an explorer brings. I have taken mine on mudded out country roads and never had a problem. I love how it drives and the paint is excellent. What are y'alls thoughts about your explorers?
It's fast as hell with the v8, and overall a blast to drive, but it also rides really nice, and handles well for a heavy suv, it's nice and roomy along with looking pretty good in my opinion. I even had a guy one time ask me about it and actually want to talk to me about it. He thought it was pretty cool, and was surprised how nice it looked for an 06

For me, the main reason is versatility. It covers so many bases regarding what I need a vehicle to do for me. I can haul bigger items, pack six people inside, it can go off-road if needed, it can tow a decent load, it is comfortable to drive with plenty of amenities and it is overall pretty reliable if maintained well. I also like that the 2006-2010 V8 Explorers/Mountaineers don't have fatal flaws like the water pump in the 3.5L 5th gens, the timing chains in the 4.0L SOHC engines and the weaknesses of the five speed transmissions. Then, as D Hook mentioned, mine comes with no car payment which I have managed to avoid since 1992 due to previous generation Explorers/Mountaineers being reasonably priced. The overall size of the vehicle is about perfect. It is not too small yet not so large that it is hard to maneuver in parking lots, off-road etc. Any larger and my wife probably would never drive it. The turning radius of these vehicles is fantastic for what they are capable of doing.

Ahhh,

A bit of background, 1st. In the New York '1960s, not even old enough to drive, I had a subscription to MotorTrend. I grew up knowing my 1st car would be a Mustang with a V8. At 16, I got a '68 Mustang Convertible with a 289. A few years later I had a '66 Thunderbird with the 428 Police Interceptor, I was in the Air Force, stationed in California, and was awed by all the rust free '60s cars! Years later after having many 60's - '80s cars, (American and German) I was still spoiled by those 2 Fords. Went to a sensible '13 Escape with the 2.0 Turbo, great "little" CUV and fun to drive, but impossible to work on.
Last year, I finally decided to get a bigger SUV, did tons of research (especially on this forum) GM and Jeeps were out, foreign risky. The choice was simple - a 2006-2010 Explorer. I liked the Gen 4 when it 1st came out. With the research, I narrowed down my scope. V8 (with the revised spark plugs), 4x4, Auto A/C, Leather and a Moonroof.

After months of searching (I'm in the south) and getting disheartened by the lack of V8s and 4x4s down here, I was ready to take a trip to the midwest for one, but as luck would have it, I came across my 2009 V8 4x4 Eddie Bauer. It was a one owner low mileage from Virginia - Black over Gold with the Black and Tan leather interior (love the Black and Tan). Straight, solid runner, but some issues with the A/C and the Moonroof. After a week of haggling I got it at a good price, had the A/C gone through and fixed the Moonroof (myself). Loaded to the gills, every option (except heated windshield, 2nd row captains seats and power steps)

So, what do I like best about the Explorer? It does what I want it to, when I want to, and how I want to!
Plusses:
V8 (same dna as the Mustang GT)
Body on Frame
Easy to work on
Sync, but with a 2din radio - with the beefed up amplified system and subwoofer
Rear A/C
Power rear seats (that work!)
Great styling and character with some subtle Land Rover in the genes
Huge cabin and cargo capacity (at least for a city dweller), even with the 2nd row up and the seats fold flat (without needing to do anything funky with the headrests)
Flip up rear glass
Great revised frame
Tried and true mechanical
Easy to work on
Abundant parts availability (used and new)
Dream to drive
Tighter turn radius than the smaller Escape
Forscan with an OBDLink MX is a must!

And I was able to put in a high end Kenwood Nav with wireless Android Auto and Car Play
Using the IDatalink, this was plug and play and sounds great with the factory speakers and subwoofer
it also let me keep Sync (32 gb of music and much better than the cloud systems)
Added a power antenna (from my old car, fit right in the factory spot, just had to rewire the antenna lead)
Went down to 16" factory wheels and Goodyear rubber (didn't like the glued on chrome) for less then the 18" tires alone
What I had to have my mechanic do:
Front and Rear A/C rebuild
Tranny and Transfer Case flush and fill
I replaced the moonroof motor and glass seal, replaced some instrument bulbs.

All of this and I am still $2K under KBB!

This is a great new enough/old enough SUV and is so versatile, I can even get 10 foot lumber in the cabin (pass seat all the way back and reclined, lumber at an angle) with all the doors and hatch closed!

I love this Explorer.

Attachments

• 2009_Ford_Explorer_Eddie_Bauer_4x4.jpg
    2009_Ford_Explorer_Eddie_Bauer_4x4.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 67

I'm going with its paid for. It also has a really good turning radius as been pointed out.

I can only tell you what I miss about my explorer.

- very good offroad capability. Never got stuck once with my 06.

- engine bay is a nice height to work on. Not too high, not too low. And just enough room underneath to not have to jack it up to change the oil

- advancetrac. The way it would seem to sink itself into the ground when things got a little too wild.

My 97 Explorer XLT 5L is probably my best friend ever. 230,000 miles and still going strong. Little things wear out and we just fix or replace them. It's called Portofino blue. Remember the crayon called periwinkle? It's medium light blue with a hint of PURPLE. Very rare and pretty. This one has just about every option know to man. Built in baby seat. Radio and A/C controls in the back seat. Overhead outside temp and compass. Power windows, locks, outside mirrors, sunroof. Radio, cassette player, CD player. Keypad entry, cruise control. The bumpers, running boards and wheel teardrops are all painted to match the car. Worst nightmare.....I'm about to put in my THIRD window motor. Really can't complain after 23 years. It's a labor of love.

I don't do a ton of off-roading, but I am a very avid snowboarder who loves getting to the mountain early after a huge snowstorm when it dumps several feet overnight. From my 2000, to this 2008, the Explorer has NEVER left me stranded in the winter. So, to properly answer the question, my favorite thing about these trucks is the winter traction capability. Having an actual 4wd low has been a rarely used but life saving feature. These rigs are the perfect size, still ok on gas on the highway with a few light performance mods, and the perfect size to be able to park in larger city centers without being too big and cumbersome. To me this truck ticks all the boxes, and I'm really liking my new to me 2008 after my first year of ownership.

To be honest not much of a Ford guy, grew up with many gm vehicles and the previous Fords I owned where notorious trouble makers. What I like about Price 800. And 10 hrs of my labor. Milage was 186,000 which is not bad for 2002. Versatility of the vehicle and being theV8 and4 x 4 . Cargo room handy man by trade so this the next best thing to a truck for me. Still new to me but Im liking it so far . Did I mention Its the Eddie Bauer Edition lots of bells and whistles and third row seating too.

I like my sport trac because it's loaded with all the options I wanted without having to buy the sunroof. I'm 6'2" tall, so I need the extra headroom. It's also head and shoulders above my '98 Ranger it replaced; more power and smoother ride. I also like the fact that it looks so generic and not too flashy. I prefer the sleeper approach. In fact, it looks so plain that sometimes I have a hard time recognizing it in the parking lot!

Decent off-road capability with 4X4 LOW, short wheelbase and turning radius of the 2-door. This also comes in handy in the city. Relatively quiet and comfortable on the highway.
Regret getting the sunroof.

I traded in a 94 XLT on the Sport Trac-- should have just kept it in the garage, great truck, but @ 180,000 w/ only a battery and maintenance, figured I was coming out ahead.
The 05 Sporty has also been a great truck, only a battery & the tranny going out@ 90k, the odometer is now @ 100k.
We live on a very steep hill, and when it snows, the damn thing pulls neighbors up the road, even an E350 w/ some cargo, and the newer Explorer. When I heard the 10 models were gonna be the last, was gonna trade in on another Adrenalin, but learned of the AWD.
I don't really hardcore 4x4, but do go off roading, and she has never got stuck.
These trucks are not to big, and not to small. Very easy to maneuver, besides if there is serious hauling to do, the 66 C20 will take care of it!
The new Ranger looks to be a good replacement when time comes, just not a fan of turbos for daily driving.
Both other turbo vehicles I've owned burnt them up every couple of years. (And yes, I would spool them down before shutoff!)
Going to retire in 10 years, and want to get a new truck when I do. Maybe this time I will just park the old one, I would miss her.

pretty easy to work on... i haven't had a repair yet that I had to admit defeat

The premium looks of it, the ride quality, drives through winter weather like it’s nothing, the audiophile sound system w/nav, DVD player in back for the little one on long trips, the trunk space with 3rd row down, having the 3rd row for the rare occasion we need it, heated mirrors, decent highway mpg for a fat pig & overall despite all the wheel bearings I’ve been through & having to get the trans rebuilt it’s been fairly good to us.

Back