What does "SC" mean on overhead temp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What does "SC" mean on overhead temp?

spotdog14

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I was sitting waiting for my girlfriend to get out of work and i noticed that the overhead temp thing read "SC" instead of the temp, it displayed the direction though.

Im not quite sure what that means, it was about ~110 out with the AC blowing. The truck wasnt overheating or anything, but when i got back into traffic it went off and the temp came back on... does anyone know what SC means?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is posible that the out side temp it was sensing was beond what is set to read.

maybe "Scorching" :fire:

I looked it up in my Owner's Manual, and there was no mention whatsoever.

It indicates a short circuit but with the current temperature, it could be melted...:)

budwich said:
It indicates a short circuit but with the current temperature, it could be melted...:)

humm, that does not sound good. would the actual sensor be melting, because that is easy enough to fix, but the OHC thats a different story. It just went back to normal after a while, so i guess if it dosnt happen again than its not a "problem" right.. lol

Its just a "standard thermal couple" type thing that shows temperature relative to a resistance. The short won't hurt anything directly (I don't think) other than give you a "funny reading". The "melting" was a joke. I doubt that it melted but the sensor is in the front of your engine compartment (I think) and it gets pretty hot there these days. Check your wiring for shorts. Could even be a short at your console on the imput leads.

I cant seem to find it in my owners manual. But providing they kept the same equipment as the 95's then its reads well past 110 ;) A few weeks ago I set a new record of 117. The hottest my little white truck has seen. Today was about 107.

HardTech said:
I cant seem to find it in my owners manual. But providing they kept the same equipment as the 95's then its reads well past 110 ;) A few weeks ago I set a new record of 117. The hottest my little white truck has seen. Today was about 107.

hahha, well a cold front moved in and we are back down to the mid 70's now. Michigan is not suppose to get that hot damnet! But since it hasnet happened again its not a problem! lol. Thanks for all the help.

I'm here in Lansing too and in the past few days the highest I got was 104. Maybe its because you were idling with the A/C on that you built a some heat probably making it go way past 110. :fire: Pretty much what Dan W said.

I had the same thing happen to me . i was in traffic the console read 117 it was arount 99-101 out side then all of a sudden it said SC i have been driving in NYC alot the past few days this has happened about 15 times i'm glad to hear that i have no need to worry thank you

Maybe its safe to say that it may have to get up to or over 130 unless someones X has reached over 130 ?!?

Back