• Register Today It's free!

What Fluid To Use

RojoBlanco

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96, 94 Ex, 01 Mtn
I have a 96 Explorer with automatic and 4 wheel drive. The manual specifies Mercon in the transfer case. Since oem Mercon is no longer available from Ford, what should I use? The label on Mercon V fluid that is now available from Ford clearly states not to use it in the transfer case. What do the site members have to say? I prefer Ford fluids but I'll use aftermarket if I know for sure which one is correct. Thanks. David.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transfer case fluid is Motorcraft part number XL-12. Sold in quart size

You can just use universal Dex/Merc III (or whatever it called these days) in the t-case.

I'm running Valvoline's full syn version that's equivalent to Mercon/XL-12: Valvoline™ Multi-Vehicle Transfer Case Fluid : Product Catalog - Valvoline™ I couldn't find XL-12 in my small town and didn't want to pay $14/bottle from Amazon or drive the 80 miles to the city just for fluid, so I got the Valvoline for $10/bottle from the local Napa.

Biggest thing is DO NOT run Merc V type fluids, it is well known to damage T-cases

Dexron III was always sold as Dexron III/Mercon, that applied to all Mercon applications. The Dexron III is still available, and most say it's usable for Mercon needs. I have some of the old stuff that I use for the transfer cases.

It still only costs about $5 for a quart of Dexron III at any parts store.

Back