• Register Today It's free!

What happened?

explorerjosh

Reaction score
City, State
Coral Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLS Base
I'm disappointed in Ford. The fifth gen Explorer is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but its image is destroyed. If you type in "Ford Explorer mudding" on YouTube, you won't see a dirty fifth gen in any thumbnails and most likely any fifth gen mudding. So why is it still called the Explorer??? I don't see any exploring???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm disappointed in Ford. The fifth gen Explorer is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but its image is destroyed. If you type in "Ford Explorer mudding" on YouTube, you won't see a dirty fifth gen in any thumbnails and most likely any fifth gen mudding. So why is it still called the Explorer??? I don't see any exploring???
The 5th generation Explorer was not meant for serious off-roading. It is capable of some off road driving but not the kind the previous generations were capable of. One reason is that it is now on a unibody frame and another is that the market for the kind of activity you mentioned has become very, very limited. The 5th generation will undergo another 'redesign' for 2020.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...road-experience-with-5th-gen-explorer.379958/
The Bronco will be out in a couple years and it will likely be more capable of what you are looking for.

Peter

The 5th Gen. is catered towards people like me (age 50) who did there off roading back in the 80's and 90's and are now older and just want a nice stylish suv.

The 5th Gen. is catered towards people like me (age 50) who did there off roading back in the 80's and 90's and are now older and just want a nice stylish suv.
That and soccer moms desperate not to drive a minivan. The only thing separating this from the minivan is a pair of sliding doors and better 3rd row seating.

That and soccer moms desperate not to drive a minivan. The only thing separating this from the minivan is a pair of sliding doors and better 3rd row seating.
There is much more that sets it apart from a mini van.

Peter

How many people who buy SUV's actually push them anywhere close to their off-road capabilities? almost none. So why are manufactures making trucks that get crappy gas mileage and ride like a truck to appeal to 5% of the population at most? That is why Ford went with a safer, more comfortable, better looking design for the 5th gen. If I could change one thing on the truck it would be the FWD bias.

I had a 95 Eddie Bauer Explorer and now I have a 2016 Sport. Both great in their own way, but I would much rather drive my 2016 Sport every day. The 95 was much more capable off road and I traded it in at 275,000 hard miles. If I wanted a mudding/off-road truck I would have kept the 95 and built it, while buying the 2016 for everyday use. If I was buying a truck to go mudding it certainly wouldn't be a $50k truck.

Also, the mini van comparisons always make me laugh. It has 4 wheels, seats 7 so it's just like a minivan...

How horrible would it be to desire sliding doors on an Explorer? Also if you want something that will properly offroad, get the new Raptor with supercrew. Excellent seating for 5.

I think this calls for the renaming of this "Explorer"

Right, just the Cherokee, 4Runner, Land Rover, etc? Modern times happened, demand for family carrying capability happened, and the vast majority of these cars never leave the road.

The Explorer is still capable of light to medium off road use although the Jeep Cherokee is slightly more useable in off road situations it wasn't renamed when it went from a body on frame to a unibody.

Peter

people are gullible, they need more commercials with Explorers jumping and coming close to rolling over on steep ledges to show everyone how fun ruining a vehicle is, this will send some of the Jeep type people over to destroy them.

I would of liked for the newer Explorers to have about another 3-4" of ground clearance but that would be about it. It took me a while to get used to the new 4wd selector, but for those out there that really don't drive a 4x4 I guess they figure it out faster the way it is now.

I don't need to worry about really taking it off road, I have a 4x4 truck and a ATV for that kind of stuff.

Or for guys like me who has a wife and wouldn't let me buy a Range Rover Sport so I bought my Explorer and leased a Honda CRV for her instead :p

Real off road vehicles are built, not bought.

I would of liked for the newer Explorers to have about another 3-4" of ground clearance but that would be about it. It took me a while to get used to the new 4wd selector, but for those out there that really don't drive a 4x4 I guess they figure it out faster the way it is now.

I don't need to worry about really taking it off road, I have a 4x4 truck and a ATV for that kind of stuff.

3"-4" would put it up too high for most normal people to not only get in/out of but stability for most if not 98% of all users. I have a Subaru if i need more off-road clearance and ability.. ;)

The only thing separating this from the minivan is a pair of sliding doors and better 3rd row seating.

Based on how my Ex responded while pushing it pretty damn hard on a twisty mountain road this weekend, it is certainly no mini van. That said, it also does an excellent job hauling dirty softball players and piles of gear. For me, it's a really nice blend of practical and exciting. Mini vans are very lacking in the exciting department.

It's a sad day when you take the Suby off roading before the Explorer.

Stock clearance
Forester/Outback/Crosstrek = 8.7"
Explorer = 7.6"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread is 6 years late.

Back